BunBun's feeding time....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBun71

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I do not have a certain time to let out BunBun and feed him. I read that bunnies like consistency, so I want to figure out a time in the morning, around noon, and in the evening - when should I give him his meals? What do you think about this schedule?

Breakfast - Between 8:00 AM & 8:30 AM
Lunch - Between 12:00 PM & 1:00 PM
Dinner - Between 5:30 PM & 6:30 PM

The above would be everyday..... consistency..... :)
Thank you.
- bunbun71

Your bunny should have CONSTANT access to hay/greens. As for pellets, they are not a necessity, the fiber in the hay is VTIAL. I recommend just feeding pellets when you wake up in the morning. After doing this, my rabbit gets very excited when I wake up because she knows it is feeding time. I do not think it is necessary to feed pellets three times a day unless your bunny is on the bigger side...

Your bunny should have CONSTANT access to hay/greens. As for pellets, they are not a necessity, the fiber in the hay is VTIAL. I recommend just feeding pellets when you wake up in the morning. After doing this, my rabbit gets very excited when I wake up because she knows it is feeding time. I do not think it is necessary to feed pellets three times a day unless your bunny is on the bigger side...

@buttercup830, you are exactly correct!! 💛
@BunBun71, I would seriously consider changing your rabbit‘s diet for it’s heath. If your rabbit doesn’t have access to hay 24/7 it is very likely that it will become very sick (with GI stasis) and it is highly possibly that your beloved rabbit would die. I am just saying this because I want your BunBun to be in the best possible heath! :):) After all, a heathy rabbit is more important then a food schedule!
Have a great day!

Hello everyone,
I do not have a certain time to let out BunBun and feed him. I read that bunnies like consistency, so I want to figure out a time in the morning, around noon, and in the evening - when should I give him his meals? What do you think about this schedule?

Thank you.
- bunbun71

It would be helpful to know what you are planning to feed at each of those times.
For example, one may want to feed pellets twice per day and greens also twice per day. If feeding in 3 meal intervals, then one of those times might mean getting both pellets and greens at the same time. In this example, that would not be necessarily recommended because bunny may get confused as to why he only gets pellets at one time, only gets greens at another time, but gets both another time.

This is one example of why it would be helpful to know what you were planning on offering at each of those times.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for helping. 👍
His meals:
Breakfast is veggies
Lunch is pellets
Dinner is vegges too. :)
Hope that helps!

@buttercup830, you are exactly correct!! 💛
@BunBun71, I would seriously consider changing your rabbit‘s diet for it’s heath. If your rabbit doesn’t have access to hay 24/7 it is very likely that it will become very sick (with GI stasis) and it is highly possibly that your beloved rabbit would die. I am just saying this because I want your BunBun to be in the best possible heath! :):) After all, a heathy rabbit is more important then a food schedule!
Have a great day!

Thank you everyone for helping. 👍
His meals:
Breakfast is veggies
Lunch is pellets
Dinner is vegges too. :)
Hope that helps!

Not sure how often bunny gets out (or just stays out?) of a cage. Since my rabbit(s) are locked in their cage at night, I use the pellets as a way to coax them into their cage before bed - so they get their pellets around 11pm! If you have a reason to put the rabbit in a cage at a particular time each day, you could consider using pellets similarly. --just a thought.

I can't remember if you've already been introducing greens to your rabbit or if greens are new. If new, the amount will probably be too small at first to feed them twice per day. Once bunny is used to greens (think more in terms of greens than veggies), then splitting that up into two feedings is a fine idea.

Hello everyone,

Thank you.
- bunbun71
Basically my buns (and guinea pigs) meal plan!
So I'd say it's good!

Well I think your plan gives your rabbit variety. Depending on how much he/she weighs make sure the rabbit is getting enough food. Making sure the rabbit has plenty of hay to munch on freely all day and a bowl of water.

Myself just feed everything at night when it’s time to leave them in the cage, so they know its time to be calm and get a bit tired.

During the day they get a bit of treats like apples and chewing branches.

So they will be less bored in the cage. My bunny Toste would otherwise go boonkers in the cage and chew up all the wood 🤣

Myself just feed everything at night when it’s time to leave them in the cage, so they know its time to be calm and get a bit tired.

During the day they get a bit of treats like apples and chewing branches.

So they will be less bored in the cage. My bunny Toste would otherwise go boonkers in the cage and chew up all the wood 🤣
That is a great idea!!!! I am going to start that tonight:)

That schedule's probably fine (assuming there's hay and water 24/7).

You might consider giving your rabbit one more snack around your bed time (since your bunny's going to be up most of the night). I also double-check to see that there's enough hay to last my rabbits until I get up in the morning.

For rabbits that eat too many pellets and not enough hay, one thing that works is to leave just a little bit of pellets (or other non-hay food) for them before you go to sleep. That way, it forces them to eat hay overnight. As others have mentioned, two feedings (instead of three) of non-hay food a day can work as well. Again, as long as there's a constant supply of timothy hay and water.

More rabbit diet info here:
http://www.blitter.com/~nebulous/otherworld/RabbitCareGuide.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back