Bun won't foods he used to like after illness. No water either.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiebun

Reaction score
Ok, I'm stumped. My rabbit was ill nearly two weeks ago. He ate a bunch of graham crackers that he shouldn't have and they upset his stomach. We took him to the vet and he was x-rayed, examined and prescribed pain killers. Now he seems almost totally normal except he will not eat his pellets or hay and he won't drink from his water bottle or bowl. The only nutrition he gets are fresh greens dipped in water, willow wreaths and Woodland Loops. He refuses to have anything to do with what he ate before his illness. I bought him two other types of hay that he spreads around but eats little of. I've ordered him a new brand of pellets. He's losing weight and his poops are soft and ill formed. Does anyone know how to get this boy to go back to eating his proper food and water? Does anyone have any ideas why he's doing this? He's 8 and he always used to eat every scrap of his food before he got sick.

Sometimes gi stasis can drag on especially if they won’t eat hay. Maybe try hand feeding and wrapping some hay strands in the greens? I got my rabbit started eating that way. I had to basically bother them with it by putting in their face till they ate it. My sick rabbits preferred Timmothy gold by American pet. Someone on here had suggested Sherwood pellets to me , which I also had success with. Good luck. It took mine close to a month to start eating normally. Sub q fluids are good too, gets the gi track moving

Critical care is good too but some rabbits can be almost impossible to force feed if they won’t eat it on their own.

I'm reposting this here because I haven't gotten many replies where I first posted it:
Ok, I'm stumped. My rabbit was ill nearly two weeks ago. He ate a bunch of graham crackers that he shouldn't have and they upset his stomach. We took him to the vet and he was x-rayed, examined and prescribed pain killers. Now he seems almost totally normal except he will not eat his pellets or hay and he won't drink from his water bottle or bowl. The only nutrition he gets are fresh greens dipped in water, willow wreaths and Woodland Loops. He refuses to have anything to do with what he ate before his illness. I bought him two other types of hay that he spreads around but eats little of. I've ordered him a new brand of pellets. He's losing weight and his poops are soft and ill formed. Does anyone know how to get this boy to go back to eating his proper food and water? Does anyone have any ideas why he's doing this? He's 8 and he always used to eat every scrap of his food before he got sick.

If he's losing weight I would try if he eats kitchen oatmeal, it's pretty irresistable and easy to digest, would say 1-2 Tbsp distributed between 2-3 feedings. If a rabbit really needs some fattening up now and then I put some drops of sunflower seed oil on it.

If you can find it, leaves of roses, blackberries, apple trees etc., or stuff like narrowleaf plantain are great for rabbits with low appetit.
I also offer willow twigs and branches.
Chives or the greens from onions, thumbnail sized amounts, would be onm my list to try too.

Better keep one thread, starting a new just confuses things.

Last edited:
Were any other meds prescribed and which? Did the vet also do a dental exam? Are you currently doing supplemental syringe feeding with critical care or other recovery food mix to make sure your bun is getting enough nutrition each day to keep the gut moving? If not, did your vet not recommend doing this?

I’m not the most experienced on this topic but I suggest only giving him his hay, pellets, veggies and water. Also make sure to call your vet about this if you haven’t already!
He's been to the vet. We ARE only giving him hay, pellets veggies and water. He only eats the veggies. His poops are a mess because he refuses to eat hay which he formally loved. he has 3 varieties to choose from too.

Were any other meds prescribed and which? Did the vet also do a dental exam? Are you currently doing supplemental syringe feeding with critical care or other recovery food mix to make sure your bun is getting enough nutrition each day to keep the gut moving? If not, did your vet not recommend doing this?
The vet said she couldn't get a good look at his back teeth. The only meds he had were the pain killers he finished last week. I've just started giving him Critical care myself. I'm calling the vet again tomorrow.

Rabbits can associate feeling sick with the food they ate prior to getting sick, so may avoid those foods for a while. In which case it becomes necessary to find foods they will eat and supplement by syringe feeding until they do start eating well on their own.

Other possibilities are there could be something wrong with the pellets, hay, and/or water. Or there could be a dental issue like molar spurs, causing the continued relectance to eat or drink.

Latest posts

Back