Bun wont chew

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viciousalice

Reaction score
Our Bun Karasu will NOT chew on anything she has several different wood chews, the one that has wood around a nut, a stick ball with a bell in the center, loofa pieces, a rattle carrot, a pine cone and the wooden apple sclice looking things with loofa around the outside, none of them look chewed on and we have to keep trimming her teeth down because she wont chew. Any ideas on what to do for her???

I think it's apple tree branches that are meant to taste nice to buns. Some pet shops sell them, so perhaps try one of those?

Does your rabbit eat much hay? That can help grind the teth down to some extent.

Jo xx

try dif kinds of hay cuz each one will wear down their teeth differently..and i agree apple branches are very yummy to most buns...

Honestly? You dont need them to munch/chew on those things. Just their hay and pellets are good enough. A good thing to do though? Is have two different hays available, because all the different kinds of hay wear down the teeth differently.;)

Like normal Timothy, but mix in some Bermuda Grass or some Orchard Grass.:D

what about the cubes of hay? i know.. well.. for my hamster at least it helps keep his teeth worn down.. and he wont chew much else.. he doesnt actually eat it though.. he just tears it apart mostly.

If she eats enough hay (a ball about the size of her body per day) and still has issues with overgrown teeth it may be a genetic issue and her teeth don't line up so won't wear properly.

If that's the case then even the best diet may not be enough to stop her teeth overgrowing. If trimming becomes a problem you could consider having her front teeth completely removed - rabbits cope well with this but the op is not always 100% success and the teeth sometimes grow back.

It is also important to monitor the back teeth as if the front teeth aren't aligned correctly the back teeth may also develop spurs and these are less easy to detect and you can't see the back of a rabbits mouth without a scope.

Latest posts

Back