Bun problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briennap

Reaction score
My bun has this pillow that she absolutely lovesssss she digs on it for hours (no she does not rip it open and get the inside fluffs I would take it away from her if I saw any rips cause eating that fluff isn't good) it's just a plain old pillow with nothing harmful to her or like I said I would take it away. anyways, she loves this thing. Only problem is: she will not stop peeing on it. I already know about how getting her spayed will stop her territorial issue which I think is the only reason she pees on it. But I've washed it three times now and she just pees on it til it's literally soaked in pee and that's just not healthy for her to breathe or sit on which she loves laying on the pillow after she digs on it for hours. I just feel bad taking it away and I really don't want to come down to that it's not even a toy but it's definitely her favorite. Anything I could do to make this "toy" last a lifetime and not have to wash it every 2 days?

Some rabbits just loooove to pee on soft things. Even after washing it, it probably still smells like pee to her unless you're using an enzymatic cleaner. If it were my rabbit, I'd just take it away from her.

I know the only reason I've kept it this long is cause she's so attatched to it but it's time for it to go. breathing in pee and stuff isn't good for their health, probably not even my own health. I will take it away, seems like the best idea.

Hmm... depending on how hard she claws at it, a waterproof pillow cover might help (there are some that have a fabric feel to them rather than icky vinyl). You'd still have to wash the cover often, but it would at least prevent pee from soaking into the stuffing if she didn't put holes in it.

No she hasn't poked any holes through it, but she pees on it so much one time I picked it up and it was actually dripping..just too unsanitary. But I will try that cover thank you! Because she loves this pillow so much even when I take it away to wash it I can tell she misses it she lays in the spot it was in before I took it lol. So I would feel horrible taking it from her completely but if that cover doesn't work I just might have to do hat.

I meant holes in the cover (I saw what you said earlier about her not actually tearing up the pillow, but the cover might be more fragile) ;)

And actually, I just found an even better potential solution, assuming you've got a sewing machine or the patience to hand-sew a pillow - http://chaoticallycreative.com/2012/05/07/make-an-outdoor-pillow-any-size-any-style/#

It may be necessary to make a removable fabric cover in order to convince her to accept the newer, more sanitary pillow. Fleece is the safest for rabbits on the off-chance she chews a bit. If you go to Joann's, Hancock fabrics or Hobby Lobby to buy the fleece, go online and print out a coupon first in case it isn't on sale (the coupons can't be stacked with sale prices and can't be used instead if they're better than the sale):
Hancock fabrics - http://www.hancockfabrics.com/viewc...vorites&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=coupons (fleece is currently on sale)
Hobby Lobby - http://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupon.cfm (not sure about current sales)
JoAnn fabrics - http://www.joann.com/coupon/ (fleece is currently on sale)
^ all of the above links are from my bookmarks; coupons for Hobby Lobby and JoAnn expire every Saturday, Hancock's expire less often - the bookmarks will automatically pull up the current coupon, but since it's after closing time on Saturday, you'll need to wait until tomorrow morning to print the new week's coupon for HL or JoAnn

I recommend against anti-pill fleece - I really don't like it. It's not as soft and honestly, I've never had issues with normal fleece pilling anyway. Between the apartment here and my house in San Antonio, I've got well over 200 yards of fleece and not one bit of it is anti pill :p (I know, it's an obscene amount... it's for my online business, as it's the kind of fabric use for sugar glider pouches and cage sets... freaking JoAnn's wouldn't stop having amazing sales!)

Alternatively, if you made a new pillow the same size as the current one, you could gut the stinky pillow and use the outer fabric from it as a cover over the new one (which could also make the transition to the new pillow go more smoothly, since it would have that familiar smell and feel to it).

Yeah haha I see what you meant after I sent that. I tried the pillow cover and so far seems to be working out wonderfully!! Thank you all for the suggestions!! 😄

Latest posts

Back