Bun Nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do?

• Trimming?

• Grinding?

• Have someone else do them?

• Other(post what you do please)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can barely pick up Nibbles without him kicking up a storm, so picking him up AND trimming his nails? Um, no.

I really struggle to pick up Junie at all. So nails for her are a no-go, too.

It's way easier to take them to the vet a couple miles away from us. They don't like the car ride, but it's probably less stressful for them in the end if a vet does it instead of struggling against me for who knows how long!

I get my bunnies nails done by a vet nurse at Pet At Home, because i just can't do it by myself, it only costs £2.50 and £1 of it goes to the RSPCA which is good! They also do micro-chipping which costs £5 and £2 of it goes to the RSPCA! All of my bunnies nails are usually fine, except my males nails just don't stop growing! :)

Definitely trim them. They can get soooooo long! Our mini rex, Babs, had some of the longest nails ever! We deemed her "ghetto" because of her long nails and bad attitude! HA! :p
The vet trimmed them up nice for me though when I took her in today.

My wife and I trim about once every 2 months. Just do the tips because that is what the most important part is; making sure they do not get overly sharp. If you trim too far down, you can hurt the bun and they could start to bleed too. If you are careful though, trimming is easy (except when the buns squirm around.) :p I find wrapping the bunnies up in a towel or blanket (bunny burrito) is the easiest way to keep them from moving around. They do really well with it once I do it that way. I think they feel more secure.

I tried to trim mine, but he squirmed and moved his paw around like he was in pain and started licking it. It broke my heart. :(
So, I've decided to make an appointment with the vet instead. Does anybody know how to know when the nails are getting too long / are ready to be cut?

We usually go about every other month (every 8-10 weeks). For us, when we can see the tips of their nails start to poke out from under their fur it's usually time.

Latest posts

Back