Bun keeps weeing on me- help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisfliss

Reaction score
I took 'Alfie' to the vets on Saturday for the first time and the vet told me Alfie is probably actually a girl- though said she wouldn't be able to tell for another month or so.

She's 20 weeks, I've had trouble litter training but thought she'd at least learnt that her cage is where she wees. She's started to jump up onto the sofa and sit with me and has just started to lick me a lot this last week too. I even found her licking the wooden fireplace! However, she weed on my coat which was on the sofa just before we went to the vets and she weed on me last night after jumping up on the sofa to sit on me. She's done it again this evening and I'm not sure what to do. Should I go back to the beginning and limit her space for a few days? I am planning on getting her spayed (neutered if she does turn out to be male still) but the vet says to wait until 6 months old. She's been pretty good until recently and seems to suddenly have got really cheeky. Is it just her age?!

Sounds like her age as you say he/she has become cheeky lately. It could be hormones. Buns do seem to like to pee on soft items such as couches so maybe at least keep her off the couch. Spaying/neutering should help with litter habits.

There is the possibility of a medical issue such as a UTI.

I second that it's probably her age/hormones. I also find that bunnies tend to like marking everywhere the first few months they are in a new home, it's a security thing, she wants her new home to smell like her. It will cease when she's spayed, gotten used to the routine in your house, and feels more settled in.

It's curious that your vet can't tell her sex at 5 months old though. If she is male, the testicles should be quite obvious by now.

When Natasha Rabbitova first came to live with me she would also pee on me, even though her litter habits were perfect otherwise. I'm convince it was uncertainty on her part about really belonging in her new home - she wanted to be sure that I was marked as her human, so that any other bunny would stay away. Given that the places I was most likely to be with her were also places I would have been with Scone MacBunny, my first rabbit, I think she was also uncertain about this male rabbit that she could smell everywhere but never met (he had died a few months before I adopted her).

It took three or four months, but once she was settled in the peeing stopped. You can read about it in Natasha's first bunny blog.

Thanks guys, she's definitely not male then! I'm going to get her spayed at 6 months. I thought she was settled in as she'd stopped weeing but I was obviously being optimistic!

The best way I've found to deal with it (peeing, not spraying), is when they do it to remain calm, and politely but forum place their nose about an inch from it and say loudly (and firmly) "NO!" It has never taken me more then two times with any rabbit for that habit to stop.

Spraying doesn't apply as it's hormonal.

Latest posts

Back