Bun just isn’t eating enough hay!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reh

Reaction score
I don’t know what else to do! My rabbit doesn’t eat enough hay and more recently I have noticed I’m not needing to refill it as much. I have had this recent batch of hay for sooo long now.

Alfie spends majority of his day running in and out of the house, he loves the yard and has access to a lot of green grass but I don’t know if that is what is replacing his hay consumption OR whether I should be concerned.

Essentially, he’s out in the morning eating grass, comes in for his first meal which is a mix of pellets and greens and then continues his day as normal with a treat or two throughout the day and then in the evening he gets a second load of greens and retreats to his area for the night where he has his hay.

During the day, because of his access to the yard, he does not go back to the hay until the evening.

Poops seem relatively normal, theyre just a touch dark and small for my liking. Not that I like any sort of poop. But you all get what I mean.

Hay is just dried grass, so he is eating grass as a replacement for the hay. How many pellets does he get?

I give him about two table spoons roughly! Not sure if it’s too much, it doesn’t seem like it but I’m not too sure. I use the Burgess Excel w Dandelion.

If he eats grass, what's the problem? Hay is just a convinient substitude for grass and weeds, if they have that they don't really need hay, but many pet owners don't have access to fresh forage. It's good to offer hay at all times though, since it can help digestion or to just feeling well if they think they need it. Or when fresh stuff isn't feasable at times he's inside.
During summer I just keep replacing untouched hay now and then, and feed fresh forage when available, they can also graze during the day.

Good read:
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Reactions: Reh
I give him about two table spoons roughly! Not sure if it’s too much, it doesn’t seem like it but I’m not too sure. I use the Burgess Excel w Dandelion.
That sounds like a good amount. He should be ok just keep an eye on him to make sure he is eating enough grass.

Reactions: Reh
If he eats grass, what's the problem? Hay is just a convinient substitude for grass and weeds, if they have that they don't really need hay, but many pet owners don't have access to fresh forage. It's good to offer hay at all times though, since it can help digestion or to just feeling well if they think they need it. Or when fresh stuff isn't feasable at times he's inside.
During summer I just keep replacing untouched hay now and then, and feed fresh forage when available, they can also graze during the day.

Good read:
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

I think the concern mostly comes from his droppings. They’re dark and small & sometimes different sizes and I thought that may be due to not eating enough hay specifically. But if eating grass and foraging through the day is suitable then I am less concerned now.

Do you know what kind of grass he is eating? It could be a certain kind of grass causing his poops to change.

I think the concern mostly comes from his droppings. They’re dark and small & sometimes different sizes and I thought that may be due to not eating enough hay specifically. But if eating grass and foraging through the day is suitable then I am less concerned now.
Bunnies who eat mainly grass have smaller, darker droppings, nothing to worry about. I would still want him to eat hay in addition to the grass though. You could reduce pellets and greens and see if that helps.

Latest posts

Back