Bun Jovi Seems A Little Off

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channahs

Reaction score
I'm seeking a little advice from my elite bun friends here. Bon Jovi belongs to my son. He lives about a mile from me, and I check on her (and him) at least every 2 to 3 days. Jovi seemed a little off today.

She hadn't eaten her morning salad. Her poops don't seem to be uniform. Some a little bigger than the others, some small. I've noticed this before, but it tends to correct itself and all seems well. I do not know what to attribute this to. Stress? Diet?

My son has had a new girlfriend spend a couple of days with him... and she picked Jovi up on numerous occasions... my son told her to please put her down and not pick her up because she does not like that... lol girlfriend gone, anyway... this is where I wonder if stress is a factor.

When I went for my visit today, she ate her salad for me and accepted my pets and cuddles. I noticed that she was different. She was hanging out in her box which is very uncommon. I tried to palpate her tummy, but she was not happy about that and hopped away.

Tonight I am sending Robbie home with a syringe of gas drops to give her just in case. He has been instructed to watch her poops closely tonight.

I'm attaching a few photos of her. Does she appear over weight or is she just a little pac bunny Holland lop in a loaf? I am taking Barry to be neutered in the next week, so of course she will go if she doesn't seem well by then or before if the need arises.

1411083623978.jpg

1411083648423.jpg

Poor little Jovi- she is a freaking cutie pie!!!!

It could be stress, but don't let it go long- if she doesn't eat, she will die. If she is the same tomorrow, get her to a vet ASAP.

Good luck with the cutie pie girl. Trix and I are pulling for you!!!!!!!

Yes sir! Tomorrow is Friday and I wont let a worrisome issue take me into a weekend where I'd have to rely on a un-bunjucated emergency. Vet. My bun loves are too precious.

If I have a bun that is a bit off, I will try to encourage them to hop around for a bit, may try a gentle tummy massage and possibly simethicone if running around didn't help. If after a couple hours they are still off, their condition has worsened, and/or it's been more than 12 hours since they last ate/pooped, it's time to get them to the vet.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

If this is happening fairly frequently, it would be a good idea to try and figure out a cause before it progresses into full stasis. Stress can certainly be a factor, as it alters the microbial balance in the digestive system. Diet can be a large factor as well, primarily too many sugars/starches and/or not enough fiber. If she is getting too many pellets or treats, this can also affect the gut flora. Then there are dental problems and other health problems that can also cause a rabbit to stop eating. It can be a bit tricky figuring it out. You have to take into account all the symptoms they are showing and sometimes blood tests and xrays are needed at some point. If I'm not seeing any indication that it's dental related or a urinary issue, I will usually start with the diet by eliminating starchy treats and reducing pellets. Then I keep an eye on hay consumption to make sure the bun is eating more hay. Then I keep an eye on their poop. It is one of the best indicators of how a rabbits digestion is doing. Smaller than usual poop that can be irregular shaped, dark, and hard, is a pretty good indicator that not enough fiber and/or water is being consumed, which can be for a variety of reasons.

This is one of the best articles I've read on explaining common digestive problems in rabbits.
http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/

Thank you JBun, that was very informative!

Jovi hasn't stopped eating, I was just surprised to find her morning salad still uneaten so late into the afternoon. And I noticed her poops were slightly irregular. Also she was hiding in her wooden box, which is very uncommon.

The first thing I told my son was no treats for at least a week and then even after only in moderation. I dehydrated some fresh papaya last week and told him for now to put the Craisins in the back of the cabinet. He's to keep her hay bin well stocked and she's limited with her pellets anyway. She gets 1/4 cup of them a day. She drinks her water from a bowl.

I'll be going back over this morning to check in on her and hopefully she's back to her sweet little disapproving bunny self.

Updating on the Jovies - She appears to be more of herself this morning. She's digging in her diggy spot and eating. Poos appear a little more normal, which can be hard for me to ascertain at times since I am more accustomed to scooping Barry's big ol eLop poops and her little Holland Lopoopies just don't measure up to his in size and quantity. She doesn't appear to be in distress. Of course we'll be keeping an eye on her and I have asked my son to back off on her Craisin consumption. She loves them so much and begs so precious for them that it's hard to say no. The dehydrated papaya (no sugar added) I think will be a better option until we're sure that her gut is as healthy as it can be. She doesn't suck those down as fast as she can the Craisin. I still think the stress of that girlfriend might have had a little to do with this.

I'm definitely bookmarking the links that JBun gave me. They're good ones. Thanks!

I'm glad she's alright :)

Going easy on the craisins is good. One thing with the papaya. It's still a sugary treat, so just keep in mind. Maybe have your son use herbs for treats instead. I'll give my buns a sprig of parsley or cilantro. I know, not quite the same excitement with veg, but better for them.

Even if the stress of a new person around did contribute, limiting sugars/carbs and increasing hay still has a beneficial effect. Stress throws the gut bacteria off, and hay is always the best answer for this(as long as the bun is actually eating the hay). As well as trying to eliminate or minimize the stress.

Last edited:
I agree. The only thing that makes me feel that she might have been stressed was that the girl kept picking Jovi up, and Jovi is a floor bun. She does not appreciate being picked up at all. It's time for my weekly salad run. I will pick her up some yummy herbs to hold out as treats.

Latest posts

Back