Bun identifier

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briennap

Reaction score
This probably sounds so neglectful of an owner to say but..I have really no idea what breed my bun is! I got her from a girl on Craigslist and she didn't know what kind of bunny she was either. I have done research and I think she's part Rex because of her fur and have been told that as well by people who have seen her. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1386367693.306682.jpg. This is her please tell me what you guys think! :)

She looks rex to me. Rex are unmistakable because of their unique plush fur coat.

I would guess between 4-6 lbs. she's getting a check up soon so then I'll find out for sure.

She is adorable and she looks so very soft. Don't feel bad, I have no idea about Stache either.

Thank you so much ☺️ yes she is very soft, and hypoallergenic is which a big plus.

Our bun bun, Doozy Bear was a rescue, we are not sure of his breed either. I wondered if he was part rex, but there is not a large poof in front of his chest. Short hair; rings around eyes calico markings body is mostly white.
Any ideas? Thanks!

PA190390.jpg

BUNNY.jpg

Well if my bun is a Rex, than im pretty sure yours is as well he looks exactly like mine! If he has really plush velvety fur than he is definitely a Rex. He's beautiful! And as for the front chest puff, that's the only reason why I was unsure of my bun being a Rex because she had the puff and other Rex's I saw didn't...so he may still be a Rex without the puff.

Thank you! I had feelings that Doozy is a Rex of some sort, he is a youngster perhaps of 11 months @ 5 pounds. I wonder if he is full grown now or if he will get a little bigger?
His fur is very soft and velvety, I can barely even feel it in areas :brownbunny he's a very happy boy! We are working on making a run for him in his room for exercise. Gonna post threads on that later... Your bunny is very sweet, I love her little face!

Thanks so much she is such an angel I love her to death. And yeah that velvet fur is usually a tell tale sign of a Rex. So congratulations on your Rex!! I love their fur I could pet her for hours.

And for the fully grown or not question, I'm not sure about that at all, I got bun over the summer, I adopted her from someone on Craigslist and she was already 2. But she's about 5 lbs I would say so maybe he is full grown.

mini rex are NOT hypo-allergenic. :) but some folks who have a sensitivity find mini rex a bit easier to bear due to the of lack guard hairs, but they really aren't hypo-allergenic. :)

she looks like a nice bunny, I used to breed them and found them to a curious, active but nice breed of rabbit.

Doozy looks rex to me. at 11 months old, he's about as big as he'll get. :) at 5 lbs is a bit big for his breed, but he looks like a nice fellow.

Last edited:
I wondered if he was part rex, but there is not a large poof in front of his chest. Short hair;

The "Poof" is called a "dewlap", and it's not a Rex feature, as such. Many, if not most, rabbit breeds can have dewlaps. It appears mostly in female rabbits, so it's not surprising that the original poster's female has one and your male doesn't have one.

Rex and Mini-Rex rabbits are easily identified by their fur - rex fur stands up like velvet, rather than lying flat like most rabbit fur. The same mutation that created rex fur also affects the whiskers - Rex and Mini-Rex rabbits have short and curly or kinky whiskers, instead of the long, straight whiskers common in other breeds.

Latest posts

Back