Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrison

HarrisonHo
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am wondering if anyone has dealt with post-aspiration treatments for their buns and what, if anything helped.

Yesterday my 3 yr old bun choked for the second time. We had to perform the bunny Heimlich on her and continue to clear away the mucousal nasal discharge. As soon as she stabling breathing (though still under duress) we took her immediately to our vet who prescribed oxygen therapy, which we administered through a mask, as her lips and nose were quite blue (cyanosis) and her breathing was fast, shallow and irregular (tachypnea) with her head tilted up. She was given an intravenous dose of meloxicam at this time.

We transferred her to an oxygen chamber, but she soon went into distress again due to additional mucousal discharge. She continued to breath through her mouth with tilted head and was then administered a diuretic (furosemide). Oxygen therapy continued for 3 hours during which her colour returned and she lowered her head. She was taken off oxygen and returned home as the clinic was closing.

It has been nearly 24 hours since returning home. During the 24 hours her appetite is markedly decreased, her respiration is still very fast and shallow, she has not groomed herself, her head is very slightly tilted, she is still breathing through her nose however her lips are not as pink as yesterday. We administered Meloxicam this morning and an antibiotic (Chloropalm) and have been administering 2 mls of critical care every few hours. She is eating minimally (0.1 ml of apple every 30 min).

We were going to take her for additional oxygen therapy at an emerg clinic, however in reading a number of studies that were completed it seems that oxygen therapy after aspiration of hydrochloric acid can increase the chance of acute respiratory distress syndrome and mortality. I don't know what else to do, there are no rabbit saavy/exotic vets in the city working on a weekend and I feel at this point a regular vet may do more harm than good. Any advice is appreciatedǃ

The only other thing I can think to try would be the vet giving antibiotics through a nebulizer, and other nebulized medication to help open up the airways. Does your usual vet have an emergency number so they could at least consult with the vet at the emergency clinic you go to? Here's a link on pneumonia in rabbits that has some helpful info, including nebulization.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Illness/Pneumonia/Pneumon_en.htm

It might also be worth noting that it could be the antibiotic causing decreased appetite and not necessarily the pneumonia. Chloramphenicol can sometimes have that affect.

The only other thing I can think to try would be the vet giving antibiotics through a nebulizer, and other nebulized medication to help open up the airways. Does your usual vet have an emergency number so they could at least consult with the vet at the emergency clinic you go to? Here's a link on pneumonia in rabbits that has some helpful info, including nebulization.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Illness/Pneumonia/Pneumon_en.htm

It might also be worth noting that it could be the antibiotic causing decreased appetite and not necessarily the pneumonia. Chloramphenicol can sometimes have that affect.

Good point, her decreased appetite could be due to the antibiotics as well. The first time she aspirated and was on antibiotics we did have to force feed her the first day as well, but the lack in grooming is more concerning to me because that has never happened before.

My vet isn't available on the phone for emergency calls unfortunately and I know that he hasn't really dealt with a lot of rabbit pneumonia/pulmonary edemas either (as he said this). I will check in with him tomorrow about getting antibiotics that we can administer through a nebulizer. Praying she will remain stable until thenǃ

Also wondering whether a swab was taken and culture and sensitivity tested? Chloramphenicol might not be the right antibiotic in this instance. Is it a thick mucus in the nose or runny fluid?

Unfortunately our little girl was PTS this afternoon. She continued to decline despite seeing 4 different vets in the past 2 days. She remained anorexic the entire time and by the end force-feeding was not an option as she breathing through her mouth and gasping. No swab and culture was taken as at the time of the incident it was only choking and then by the time an infection could have started she was too weak to go under anesthesia to get a decent swab. She was given oxygen on Saturday, Sunday and Monday as well as she went in and out of respiratory distress. Our vet is going to perform a post mortum.

My heart has joined the Thousand for my friend stopped running today

Rip sweet bunny! So sorry for your loss! Maybe y'all will get answers from the necropsy. May y'all find comfort in the fact she is no longer suffering.....

Sorry to hear she didn’t make it. It sounds like pneumonia, which is fatal if not treated early. We had two rabbits get it, one died, and we were able to save the other one...she was put on Baytril for it.

I’m so sorry @Harrison , you did all you could for her, at least she isn’t suffering any more. My thoughts are with you x

Latest posts

Back