Bun-Bun - bad flea bites.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun~Bun

Reaction score
Every fall, we have a little flea problem. Thedogs and cats drag them in before we can even get their flea drops!!Well, this is rediculuos. Bun-Bun only gets a tiny amount of fleas - ifnot, none. This morning I checked for fleas. He does have a bit fleason him. The fleas are quite large as well. He got a bath a few weeksago and had flea sprey. But nothing worked. Then as I rubbed his back,I felt scabs on his rear. I looked were thin patches of fur was. Underit was bald, and had scabbed bites on it(Just like a dog has when theyhave fleas and bite and scratch to much.). I have noticed alot oflicking and scratching lately. He's also going through his sheddingperiod, getting ready for his winter coat.
Any one know any thing that would be safe to put on him? Cause I knowit hurts him. My dog is going through the same thing - butmum puts Cortizone on it. Would Cortizone be safe on a rabbit?

You have to get the fleas off the dog and keepthem off.I'd recommend Advantage for Dogs(but not a knock-off brand, the real thing). It's expensiveand I think you have to get it from the vet, but it's well worthit.

The tough part is getting the fleas out of the rest of thehouse. If you only use a flea shampoo on the dog, theyusually just jump off and hang out elsewhere,then jump backon the dog. The househas to be vacuumed, washed andsprayed with a special flea insecticide-- except with bunniesin the house, that's not advised!ButAdvantage will kill the fleas as soon as theyjump on thedog, and it lasts a month. After aboutthree treatments, they're all dead.

Advantage forCats and Kittensis safe forbunnies, or at least as safe as it gets. I believe Revolutionalso works on bunnies. I don't know about Revolution, but fyou use Advantage on the bunnies, get the kind forkittens,and only use 1/3 to 1/2 or the tube, depending on how big the bunnyis. And make sure you apply it during vet business hours incase you have an allergic bunny. (Rare, but ithappens). If you have a nice vet,theyshouldsell you just one tube -- you probablywon't need to reapply it if you keep treating the dog and keep thehouse well vacuumed.

And if you have bonded bunnies, don't let them lick it off each other! Keep them separated for 24 hours.

Don't use Frontline!! Also don't useANYshampoos,creams or sprays on the bunnies!Somepeople say a little 'kitten' flea powder works, but I'vealso heard they're dangerous, so Iassume it depends on thebrand/ingredients. Maybe somebody knows more than me.

In the meantime, a flea comb will help.

I've had years (more years than I'll admit to!) of dog and catinfestations, and the ONLY thing that's ever worked(asidefrom the mega-toxic insecticide sprayed all over the house that'sprobably worse for the bunnies than the fleas) has beenAdvantage.

Hope this helps!

sas and thesoon-to-be-flea-free gang.

Oh, yes, we've learned about Front Line - it doesn't work!!
We use Advantage for cats and dogs and they allready have their drops.Today my sis used the carpet sprey in her room. On wensday I should dothat, since that's my cleaning day. I will keep the buns away from eachother. I heard that ingesting a pregnant flea will make the mammal getworms(It accures in mammals - and we're mammals!! Don't swallow aflea!!) as well.
What about a natural product like Calamine or Aloe?

I don't think Calamine or Aloe are safe forrabbits to ingest, so it's best not to use them. And avoidthose "holistic" flea treatments at the pet stores. They havea reputation for causing serious reactions.

Revolution is safe. Jordiwes's vet recently prescribed it as a mite treatment.

Oh, and one thing my parents always did was put a flea collar in thevacuum bag. It kills any of the buggers that are sucked upwith out having the toxic chemicals on the animal.:) Thoseare known to cause reactions in some animals too.

There's more info on fleas and rabbits here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12922&forum_id=10

Here's a post from Pam that I was looking for:

Carbaryl (kitten flea powder/Sevin gardendust) is frequentlyused in the US.You'll also find Carbaryllisted on many house rabbit sites:

http://www.allearssac.org/fleas.html

This quote isfrom theHRS site:

"Carbaryl is the ingredient preferred by the House Rabbit Society's veterinary advisors."

Source:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/groom.html

Other topical dog/cat topical fleaprescription meds are also commonly used on rabbits in theUS.

No medication is completely safe, so I doadvise proper diagnosis andmedication dosagesdirectedby the vet so properaction can be taken inthe event of a reaction from the medication.

I've used Carbaryl for many years withoutany rabbits having a reaction. One advantage is that if ananimal does have a reaction to Carbaryl, symptoms generally diminish ifthe powder is washed off the animal.

Pam

Latest posts

Back