Bun breathing really fast

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlesMom

Reaction score
I know they breath fast but i think he is sick...i gave him banana's he isnt even touching that and he loves banana's!! Not eating today either....my daughter gave him a phone book to chew on could that be the problem?? his sides are kinda caved in but he is a fat boy so i have no clue...any ideas???!! maybe a off day.....he shedding what can i give him if that is the problem.....pumpkin....and papya

Since when hasn't he been eating? Is he drinking water? Has he swallowed paper from the phone book? Has he pooped or peed at all? In the affirmative how are his poops? Normal or smaller than usual?

Try giving him A LOT of water and hay. Hay will restore the intestinal contractions. If he's not drinking he will get dehydrated, which will make things worse, so, in this case, you should buy Pedialyte from a drug store and give it to him, it will hydrate him and substitute the electrolytes he has lost, if he hasn't been drinking. Try also canned pumpkin (NOT the sweet one), there is fibre in it, which will keep the intestines moving and it's taste is pleasant for most of the bunnies.

Does he lie down in a hunched posture? Are his eyes half closed? Do you hear his teeth clenching? All of the above are signs that he's in pain. If so, Metacam can help alleviate the pain, which, if left untreated, will cause a vicious circle, since the more they are in pain, the more they don't want to eat. Does he stretch and press his belly against the floor? This would mean gas. Infacol (an off the counter white syrup for infant colic) would help with gas. Moving him around and gently massaging his tummy would also help.

How is his temperature? Feel his ears. Are they cold? Are they hot? If he's cold, wrap him up in a towel and keep a heater by him. Fast breathing could mean he is in pain, but could also be a sign of other respiratory problems or a heart condition.

If you could answer the above and be more specific about the problem, we could be more precise in helping you out.

Marietta

Marietta pegged it, really need the answers to those questions, but given the combination of fast breathing, his weight,possibly empty GI tract and lethargy, I'd strongly recommend getting him to a vet ASAP.

How old is he?

Hope he's okay...

sas :pray:

Of course I back up what Pipp pointed out: if your bun is in critical condition, a forum cannot substitute a vet. An emergency vet visit would bethe best option for your bunny's health and life.

Marietta

How is he doing?

I'm concerned that Cuddles isn't a young bun, so always best to be cautious. Marietta gave an accurate description of what could be wrong, but really need more info.

If it was my bun (like Dill, yesterday!) from past experience and symptoms -- sudden onset, poops and pee had been normal prior to the onset, and he's molting -- I'd guess it was agas and/or stasissituation (gas can cause stasis and stasis causes gas),in which case the gas meds (anything containing mostly simethicone) pedialyte and tummy massages (or vibration therapy) would be my firstplan of attack. I'd try and get him eating pumpkinon his own,and if he goes withouteating for awhile -- 12 hours to 24 hours max -- I'd start giving it to him in a syringe.

These attacks are typical for Dill, though, so I'm more comfortable with a self-diagnosis.

Please letus know how he's doing!

sas :clover:

Is he moving? If you make him move, does he move normally or does he move awkwardly, stiffly, limp, etc.?

I'd go to a vet ASAP. Those symptoms could mean pain and stress from anything, but that's how Sprite was and she died later the same day despite vet care.

The sucked-in gut seems to be a pain symptom, Sprite had it to some extent and Luna had it pretty bad after her spay until I got stronger pain meds for her.

Sometimes it is something as simple as Dill with gas, but most rabbits don't react that strongly to that.

Edit: Sprite had ileus/severe stasis.

Not to scare you, but Wiggles also had the caved in sides and also passed. Not saying that your bun will pass, but rather that you have enough info to treat this as an emergency. I wish you all the best and look forward to getting good news :)

CuddlesMom, I've been thinking of your bun...I would very much like to know if Cuddles is alright.

Marietta

Latest posts

Back