Bumps under skin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MopC

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to bunny world and wanted to ask some of your group expertise. Our neighbor recently gifted us with an 8 week old/English spot mix bunny. (This is our 2nd bunny from this neighbor, our first bunny was gifted to us as an even younger bunny, and is now a healthy, shiny, curious, energetic 6 mo old). This new bunny (meant as a companion bunny) came to us with some lumps under her skin on her left hind leg, as well as some external abrasions in the same area/seems healed - maybe a scab, its really hard to tell. First thought it was ticks, but now seems like old scabs. There are no open wounds. The neighbor's rabbits are kept in one very large pen/hutch outside area (maybe 30 or so) and seems like some fighting had been going on as we had observed some had some chewed ears, a couple with a little blood n the ears, etc. I'm wondering if these lumps sounds like fight wounds, or instead if sounds symptomatic of a larger infection since most of the lumps are under the skin. The lumps under the skin are hard (almost like sticks) not soft like an inflammation/or liquid. Our vet appointment is not until next week but I have been worrying about this little one. We have the two bunnies separated in two separate hutches as I wasn't sure about bacteria/infection. Any thoughts on what might be going on would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Most likely would be abscessed wounds or a staph skin infection. Staph infections can be more likely to occur in colony housing like that. Cysts, or hives from an allergy could be possible, but not as likely. The vet can do a fine needle aspirate to see what kind of fluid comes out, but it's likely the kit is going to need to be put on an appropriate rabbit safe antibiotic.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/Medirabbit (rabbit safe medications)

Medirabbit (staph infection in rabbits)

Hi, it is hard to diagnose without even seeing but from your description and given the circumstances it is very possible that the scabs are just healing wounds from biting, I would suggest just keep watching them and they should disappear within a couple weeks. If there's no change in colour on skin around, no itching, no inflammation I see no need in using antibiotics, I would only use them only when it is absolutely necessary.
From how you described your neighbor's rabbit housing it is not unusual that older rabbits can bite the babies. If your neighbor's rabbits are kept clean and they are healthy, and there were no cases of infections I see no need in using serious drugs just in case, since every drug has side effects and also when you use too often it may not work when really needed, so if you want just clean wounds and make them heal a bit faster you can use natural remedies, but in my experience if there are a few healthy looking scabs from biting they will heal quickly without your intervention.

You did very good that keep your new rabbit separately, as I understood your new baby is 8 weeks and it's a girl, and what about your older rabbit, 6 months old now and is it a girl or a boy?
What are your plans are you going to neuter them and bond together or you are going to breed them or else?

Hi there Zuppa,
Thanks for your note. The new baby bun seems lively and hops around with ease, no wobble, no limp, etc. So hoping for the best. I was reading a bit about how to intro the two. I'm about 90% certain both bunnies are girls, both were begrudgingly amenable to a genital check. But still considering having one neutered esp. if there might be advantages to doing so (less territorial, easier to get along with a companion).
They each have one of those 2 story bunny condos and depending on infection/healing, the plan was to intro play time indoors within next 30 days, with the ultimate goal of attaching a large tunnel to connect the 2 cages so they could interact on their own.
My daughter is 7 so she wants a "neighborhood" of bunny cages. Two bunnies are fine for now, not interested in breeding but I can see us going up slowly to maybe 4 max once we have some experience raising happy healthy fluffers. I personally would not be interested in cleaning any more than 3 or 4 cages! If I did overlook a boy in the mix, we would have room to care for them - but ultimately I would want to find homes, and my neighbor also offered to take an "oops" babies back to her farm if needed. Any tips for introducing the two? Thanks!

Hi there Zuppa,
Thanks for your note. The new baby bun seems lively and hops around with ease, no wobble, no limp, etc. So hoping for the best. I was reading a bit about how to intro the two. I'm about 90% certain both bunnies are girls, both were begrudgingly amenable to a genital check. But still considering having one neutered esp. if there might be advantages to doing so (less territorial, easier to get along with a companion).
They each have one of those 2 story bunny condos and depending on infection/healing, the plan was to intro play time indoors within next 30 days, with the ultimate goal of attaching a large tunnel to connect the 2 cages so they could interact on their own.
My daughter is 7 so she wants a "neighborhood" of bunny cages. Two bunnies are fine for now, not interested in breeding but I can see us going up slowly to maybe 4 max once we have some experience raising happy healthy fluffers. I personally would not be interested in cleaning any more than 3 or 4 cages! If I did overlook a boy in the mix, we would have room to care for them - but ultimately I would want to find homes, and my neighbor also offered to take an "oops" babies back to her farm if needed. Any tips for introducing the two? Thanks!
All bunnies have to be neutered and then wait for 8 weeks before attempting to bond, that gives you the best chance of success.

Latest posts

Back