Bump on Chubbys Left Foot - Cancer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update .. just got back from the vet... he got his second of 6 shots .. its called Tumor Nucrodic factor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumor_necrosis_factor-alpha (the injections).. its mostly used in cats and dogs from what the vet told me .. she is really happy that its working but she said since my little man chewed his stitching, he is a week behind and said that the tumor is coming back but she hopes that this will stop it and make it smaller..he now has a dog collar on and Hates it .... every time i take it off he try's to chew the plastic its hysterical ..

thanks everyone for caring :)

One of those cone collars?

I'm having some computer problems so it's real slow here, but I saw someone mention (and show a picture) of an alternative to those collars. If memory serves correctly, it's a tube of cloth filled with cotton? that can be ringed around the neck.

Keeps bun from ... you know - it's Chippy's foot. I'm way off base here I guess because feet would probably still be accessable.

*sigh*

Well, disregard that I suppose, and keep up the good work with Chippy!

Leaf wrote:
One of those cone collars?

I'm having some computer problems so it's real slow here, but I saw someone mention (and show a picture) of an alternative to those collars. If memory serves correctly, it's a tube of cloth filled with cotton? that can be ringed around the neck.

Keeps bun from ... you know - it's Chippy's foot. I'm way off base here I guess because feet would probably still be accessable.

*sigh*

Well, disregard that I suppose, and keep up the good work with Chippy!

correct .. we got him a small dog cone collar .. has rubber on the bottom for comfort.. its working out well.. hate having to put it on him though..

angieluv wrote:
I hope that Chubby has a good response to the injections.
Does he have any side-effects?

Maureen

nothing at all.. eating and acting normal to be honest with you. just hates the collar that we have on him.. other than that .. its going better than i expected .

HIGH_HEAT wrote:
angieluv wrote:
I hope that Chubby has a good response to the injections.
Does he have any side-effects?

Maureen

nothing at all.. eating and acting normal to be honest with you. just hates the collar that we have on him.. other than that .. its going better than i expected .

Is Chubby still doing well?

Is your vet in our listings of Rabbit Savvy Vets? If not, go ahead and add it. Sounds like a great vet and I think we should also add this treatment to our Library.:)

just a little update for everyone .. we just got back from the vet. she said that the tumor is growing faster than we can kill it.. the shots are working just not fast enough , she said that we should try to give him shots 2 times per week, instead of trying to amputate the leg, because rabbits do not respond well to pain. - he is eating normally and acting normal. so i dont know.. just want his quality of life the same ! and i wanted to document this for others

angieluv wrote:
Cancer is hard to deal with with a bun :(

My jacques had an aggressive tumor but did have wondeful quality of life until the end.

well .. after talking with both Dr.'S they decided that the best chance of him having a good quality of life and longevity is that they are going to amputate the front paw. its hard for me to deal with but from what they said he should have a good recovery and normal life... we cant predict the future though. has anyone ever had this done to there bun before? he acts normal as of right now .. he will prob be on meds that ill give him, any information would help

thanks
mike

I'm so very sorry that Ben and you are going through this. But, nonetheless, I think you and your vets are making the BEST decision for Ben. I appreciate the courage its taken to make this decision.

There's a Yahoo list site that deals with disabled rabbits. I strongly suggest that you join that list site. I think they will be a huge help to you.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/disabledrabbits/

I have a friend whose Checkered Giant can dig a very impressive hole with only one front leg!!

Please keep us updated!

If the vets are absolutely sure that the cancer has not spread beyond the paw i think that your bun has a higher survival rate with amputation than with chemo.
just some things that I remember from reading on etherbun.

You'll need some help with this so joining the disabled bunnies site is a great idea (including staying OnRO) too. Animals seem to do better with losing limbs than people .
I know that you're upset ....:(

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I too, think it's the best thing. I also agree with what Angieluv said.

Best of luck to you and Chubby. Has the surgery been scheduled yet?

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I too, think it's the best thing. I also agree with what Angieluv said.

Best of luck to you and Chubby. Has the surgery been scheduled yet?

yes .. thank you .. for thursday thanks to everyone .

Latest posts

Back