"bully" breeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralvr

Reaction score
This weekend when I was with my family, my grandfather made a comment that all pit bulls need to be put to sleep.
angryfire.gif
I absolutely cannot stand when people try to demonize an entire breed of animal! Apparently someone he knows got bitten recently by one so I can kind of understand why he made the comment he made, but just because one dog bites, does not mean the next will. My little sister got attacked by a dalmation when she was younger and I know for a fact that she didn't do anything to provoke it but you don't see me or her going around campaigning to put all dalmations to sleep!

Of course I made the argument that it is how the dog is raised that matters, not what breed it is, but that didn't go over too well because he knows the person whose dog it was and says they raised him perfectly. That might be the case, it is possible that the dog just turned (it later bit it's owner) but I guess I find that hard to believe.

Why is it so hard for people to take responsibility for our actions? Almost every agressive dog I have ever met, also had an agressive owner. . . . I wonder where they learned it from? It is really sad that in today's world, we find it easier to just ban entire breeds of dog from cities then deal with the real problem, which in my eyes atleast, is irresponsible owners, not bad dogs. The dogs didn't do anything wrong. It seems like lately, being born a pittbull is almost a death sentence and I am afraid that it is going to start getting worse for some of the other so-called "bully" breeds.

I grew up with Rottweilers and constantly heard growing up about how I had a dangerous dog. I just laughed at people when they said it too because Bear was the sweetest dog I have ever met, definately not a big bully!

It's sad when things are grouped like that, but vicious dogs can have it in their genes and things, they don't necessarily have to get it from their owners, but I do understand what you are saying.

There are a lot of different views on this topic. I personally believe there are dogs with "bad genes" but I also believe it is the breeders and dog fighters that bred them to be that way. It all comes down to the actions of the OWNERS and BREEDERS. Just like good breeders breed for temperament and certain physical features...etc.

Mypit is the sweetest dog I have ever owned and she wouldn't hurt a fly. I understand that there are vicious dogs out there but you can not condemn the entire breed because of it.

Agreed 100% with Becknutt saying....

"I understand that there are vicious dogs out there but you can not condemn the entire breed because of it."

My mom has a Shar Pei/Pit Bull mix (both breeds that can be "vicious") who is blind. We saved her from a shelter roughly 6 years ago. She is so sweet and loving.

I, personally, can't wait to be a mommy to a Pit Bull or a Pit mix someday, that I pulled from death at a shelter....just because it was "vicious".

:)

I completely agree that there are dogs with bad genes. But like you said, most of that is because of bad breeders. I wasn't trying to say that there aren't any vicious dogs, just like you said, the entire breed should not be condemned because of the actions of some. I know that there are some dogs that are going to be agressive and it doesn't matter how good it's owners are. I just don't understand how that justifies banning an entire breed.

Latest posts

Back