Building another nest while already giving birth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreo and cookie <3

Reaction score
Hi ! My 6 months old bunny gave birth on the 12 of december. It's her second time. She gave birth in a very bad place which was really tight she used plastic bag some of her fur and a few cloths. I had to move the nest because the babies wouldn't stop getting out of the nest so i made a nest in the cage i used lots of hay and some of the doe's fur. During late at night i put her in the cage with her babies so she could feed them. She knows the nest is in the cage as she has often smell her babies and stays from sight view from the cage. But i have no idea why all of a sudden she started building another nest at the first place where she gave birth. She pulled her fur used plastic bags and cloth and made a nest there. Sometimes she could sit there for like 1 hour doing nothing but sitting ( the place is even too tight for her to flop as she usually does ) Does she thinks she is feeding her babies there ? Does she still thinks her babies are there ? I have literally no idea and moreover i'm scared that she is pregnant again. The male has been neuteured 3 weeks and 5 days ago now. We didn't seperated them as soon as she gave birth. So i'm scared they already did it ? Except for when i put them together just for a short time while being present and prevent any mating attempt they are chasing each other so maybe they haven't done it yet too ? The female also tries to hump the male's head.

Hi. It is possible that she's pregnant again as neutered male still can impregnate her up to 4-5 weeks after neutering, but if she kindled just yesterday it's a bit too early for the next nest, could be a sign of a stress or a fake pregnancy as well. Can you share more info about your rabbits, age, how many kits, if all survived or not, are they doing good, fat bellies and active?

You should separate the male asap as he can hurt the babies, no matter fixed or not.

Also wondering how many babies she had? Female rabbits have two horns and literally can get give birth a few days or weeks after giving birth. So it is possible that she is preparing another nest and will kindle again soon.

Can you post a pic of your setup and both nests? Maybe she's uncomfortable that the male is still around.

One of my girls gave birth to 3 babies on day 28, then 3 more 3 days after, her nest was enormous and she pulled lots of fur off her belly, was literally naked.

Wait she's 6 months and it's her second time? What with her first litter, any of them survived?

Hi ! Thank you for your response. Both rabbits are 6 months old. She got 7 kits in all for the second litter. Unfortunately all the kits died during the first litter, hopefully the second litter will do better and survive. The kits have round and warm bellies and are active whenever you touch them. I was so shocked when she had her first litter , i didn't even knew she could have babies that early. Anyway the male and the female are already seperated and hopefully she got a false pregnancy i'm scared that she might be too tired if she gets pregnant again. I'm also so sorry i couldn't upload a pic it always says that the file is too big so i can't upload pictures :(
Thank you a lot again !

I would think it's a stress reaction. Moving a nest is messing with their instincts big time, not all take that easy. Rabbits don't care much about individual kits, they care about the nest (anything in it are their kits, great thing when fostering kits) the location is important to them.

I would keep her in a pretty small area around the actual nest for a few days, in the cage if it is big enough for her to stretch out, and definitly block any access to the place where it was before. What she needs now is food, rest and privacy. The male pestering her doesn't help either.
And be prepared 4 weeks after she gave birth, there could be another litter on the way, imho not very likely, but better safe than sorry. If she starts to build a nest you'll have to seperate the older kits.

She actually stopped building a nest to the place where she gave birth. I'll stay prepared if i see any signs of pregnancy though hopefully not. She did stress a lot during her first litter as she had no idea what to do and wasn't feeeding them. We had to bottlefeed the babies and god it was tiring and difficult to care for the newborns without their mother. All the kits of the first litter died unfortunately but this time she feeds and care for her babies. She doesn't stress as the first time and this is reassuring me a lot. Anyway thank you so much for your tips and for your concern i really appreciate it. Let's cross fingers the babies can survive this time and hopefully she isn't pregnant again.

Latest posts

Back