Building a new outdoor hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20220813_154942.jpg
My family are helping me build a large outdoor area for my purebred flemish giant, Chino. The area on the right will be all enclosed.

I was curious to what others use in the run area that's easy to clean? Chino really likes to dig so we will have to put down some mesh and make a dig box for her. In her current hutch the grass doesn't grow very well through the mesh so was thinking of something else like bark or...? we could lay over the mesh. Any suggestions?

Having mesh down is important -- not only to keep her from digging out, but to prevent other critters from digging in.

Have you seen the following thread showing photos of outdoor setups? There might be some inspiration there for flooring ideas. The run area shouldn't be a cleaning problem if you have a litter box in the enclosed area.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/outdoor-cages-post-your-photo.96732/

Use chicken wire to secure the enclosure. Also use this on the ground so your bun doesn't get out by digging and so other animal can't dig their way into the enclosure. Secure the whole enclosure to the ground also.

Use chicken wire to secure the enclosure. Also use this on the ground so your bun doesn't get out by digging and so other animal can't dig their way into the enclosure. Secure the whole enclosure to the ground also.
Chicken wire is not safe at all. Predators can easily chew through that and bunnies have been known to get seriously injured biting on chicken wire. You need strong welded mesh.

Chicken wire and hardware mesh are terms sometimes confused. Many people think of the 1" hex shaped wire when they hear "chicken wire," but there are other size hexes too. Same with hardware mesh. So the opening size will determine how weak or sturdy it is and whether or not it is appropriate for rabbits.
Hardware mesh is usually made with a thicker gauge wire than chicken wire. Here are some samples for comparison.

1" hex chicken wire. Not predator proof. Rabbits can chew.
1661622818226.jpeg

1" mesh. Thicker wire. Sturdier. A rabbit cannot chew thru but may be able to bite on it.

one inch mesh.jpg

Smaller hex chicken wire. Sturdier than the 1" hex.
poultry_netting_.jpg

1/2" hardware mesh. Predator proof. Sturdy. (1/4" mesh also available.) This 1/2" can't be chewed by rabbits. (The opening is/should be too small for their teeth to get a grip.)
half inch hardware mesh.jpg

We used 1 inch mesh on the outside and 2 inch mesh on the inside--hex mesh chicken wire would only slow them down a little but is not tough enough to stop them as it is easy to deform and lets them get a grip. If you don't have any major predators, like coyotes, the one inch hex would work to deflect birds of prey but wouldn't work for a determined 4 legged predator.

we used 2 inch mesh on the inside and

Having mesh down is important -- not only to keep her from digging out, but to prevent other critters from digging in.

Have you seen the following thread showing photos of outdoor setups? There might be some inspiration there for flooring ideas. The run area shouldn't be a cleaning problem if you have a litter box in the enclosed area.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/outdoor-cages-post-your-photo.96732/
Thank you for your advice. I tried using a litter box when she was very young but she never used it. I will have a look at the link.

Chicken wire and hardware mesh are terms sometimes confused. Many people think of the 1" hex shaped wire when they hear "chicken wire," but there are other size hexes too. Same with hardware mesh. So the opening size will determine how weak or sturdy it is and whether or not it is appropriate for rabbits.
Hardware mesh is usually made with a thicker gauge wire than chicken wire. Here are some samples for comparison.

1" hex chicken wire. Not predator proof. Rabbits can chew.
View attachment 62198

1" mesh. Thicker wire. Sturdier. A rabbit cannot chew thru but may be able to bite on it.

View attachment 62200

Smaller hex chicken wire. Sturdier than the 1" hex.
View attachment 62199

1/2" hardware mesh. Predator proof. Sturdy. (1/4" mesh also available.) This 1/2" can't be chewed by rabbits. (The opening is/should be too small for their teeth to get a grip.)
View attachment 62201
Thank you! This is super helpful

Latest posts

Back