Bugs has teary eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariusshadow

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a dwarf hotot mix doe named Bugs. She's about 6 years old and she's been having a bit of a problem lately. Her eyes have been teary. The area around her eyes looks so messy, even with her mom's constant cleaning, that the 'eyeliner' is starting to dissipate. She gets white mucous in the corners of her eyes, but there's no signs of an upper respiratory. Bugs's mom thinks it may be because of her age. I'm wondering if buns have ever showed allergies to hay or litter before. I know she uses pine bedding, but so do quite a number of other people, with no problems. And she has 3 other buns with no issues. So, I'm curious if anyone else might know what's the cause of this.

12743_091258_390000000.jpg

has his teeth been checked? i know malloclusion/molar spurs can have a massive impact on the sinuses (which includes tear ducts)

I'm able to look at her front teeth, which look fine to me. From what I've seen when I watch her eat, she doesn't appear to have any problems, though I will certainly bring up getting her teeth checked to her. Back teeth are insanely hard to look at without a vet's tools. Or I would try to look myself.

ariusshadow wrote:
I'm able to look at her front teeth, which look fine to me. From what I've seen when I watch her eat, she doesn't appear to have any problems, though I will certainly bring up getting her teeth checked to her. Back teeth are insanely hard to look at without a vet's tools. Or I would try to look myself.

could you stick a finger in there and try to feel if they are sharp?

Bugs has never had that sort of thing happen to her before. I'm quite sure I'd be bitten, as I've no experience doing it myself, either. It may just end up being an uncomfortable, tense situation for both of us. x.x

Pine bedding (shavings) that don't have the the oil baked out ofthem ( kiln baked) can cause organ (liver) problems in rabbit and also allergies . Some of these problems can develop over time so just because the other rabbits are OK doesn't mean that they will continue to be ..

There are many other options to shavings that are inexpensive if one looks around some and/ or we can provide suggestions to you.

Her eye problem could also be dental related ; there is no conclusive method to determining molar issues without an exam and xrays to see the roots. Some vets are able to visualize the molars in an exam and see some overgrowth but x-rays are the only sure method tp diagnose molar problems
I used to have a rabbit who developed teary eyes ( not botheyes at once!) ; he had blocked tear ducts and would need to have his tear duct flushed periodically , an antibiotic eye drop and sometime oral meds. His lacrimal ducts actually developed a periodic infection

Just as humans develop more physical problems as they age so do animals. It is possible that she has an infection in her eyes but that can be treated.
When an animal ages the immune system has more diffiuclty fighting off opportunistic infections plus the body is not as efficient with age.
I would have your friend change the litter on this rabbit first , she also can buy some sterile saline eye drops and rinse the eyes daily .

If there is not change in several days this little rabbit needs a vet visit.

I agree completely with angieluv. The bedding may also need to be changed more often if ammonia is starting to accumulate, this can also cause eye problems.

Latest posts

Back