Bucks or does?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enh98

Reaction score
Just curious what gender makes the best house pet? Or no difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I have found no difference in my rabbits, and I have had many bucks and doe's come through my barn doors. It really is personal opinion. My first rabbit was a buck and he was lovely! Never had a problem with him, I also had a doe that was a house pet and she had an entire different personality and was a total sweetheart.

I was told by a breeder that bucks make better pets. I don't think you can say that is true in all cases. Males may hump and spray when not neutered but then females can as well and they can become aggressive when the hormones kick in but I would think if your bun is spayed/neutered it would level the playing field.

I have an unneutered male who is a joy. Never sprayed and before a year old had even stopped marking with poo. He has never shown any aggression at all.

I recently took in two unspayed, bonded females. Neither has shown any aggression either. There was some issues at first with spraying but that stopped when they became litter trained which took about a week. My male did start spraying when they first arrived but since I have divided the room in half that has stopped.

I think there is more to a bun being a good pet than the sex such as breed (ex. some breeds are more active than others), the amount of handling by people at a young age and how they were handled and just the individual buns personality.

Ive had both and currently have a buck. I think they're individuals and should be thought of as such. My doe was as sweet as pie and she wasn't spayed. This bun I have now is sugar! I think it just depends on the bun!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I've had does I referred to as demon rabbits and wouldn't give away for risk of someone getting injured.
Once neutered though it pretty much evens out.

Sent from my C771 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I have eleven rabbits. Out of those 11 I have 5 boys and 6 girls, or 5 sweet affectionate bucks and 6 moody does :) I have about half of each fixed and it made no difference at all. The bucks are the same sweet tempered rabbits they were before the neuter, and my does are the same moody females they were before their spays. I was hoping the spays would mellow out that moodiness, and it did a little bit but not much. They box, nip, and grunt at me on occasion. I don't know if any of my bucks have ever boxed or grunted at me. But despite that moodiness, they do have their sweet side too. You just have to learn how to deal with the moodiness.

But in the past some of my favorite sweetest buns were does. So I don't know if it's just my luck right now, but from my current experience I would definitely say bucks are much less moody and sweeter tempered. But that's just a generalization, as every rabbit will have it's own individual personality.

Last edited:
I'll just tell you what I've been able to tell from my experience!

I have an unspayed doe and I had an unneutered (young) buck. My doe is sweet and will submit to pets whenever you want, but she's also a bit opinionated about everything. If she doesn't like it, it gets chucked or tipped over. She's VERY messy. My buck was sweet as sugar (he loved being on laps) and he did toss stuff but he wasn't near as bad.

First night with a litterbox, Heidi threw it over, emptied the contents (all over the place) and was proudly lying in her mess when I checked on her the following morning. Totoro, on the other hand, was a breeze to litterbox train and he was very well-behaved. He never once bit me or offered to - he was actually the most affectionate. He was a licker. :) Loved licking my hand. Heidi is the "you will pet me now" type and shoves her head under your hands.

Ultimately, I have discovered it depends on dozens of variables. Parents temperaments, environment bun came from, amount and frequency of handling, and just your overall opinion of what "a great pet" is. :) Heidi is a great pet but she's also extremely messy and bossy. Just depends what you consider great and what imperfections you're willing to overlook!

I've had sweet boys and temperamental boys. I've had sweet girls and temperamental girls. I think it all depends on the individual rabbit.
But if the OP is considering getting a rabbit, I'd highly suggest meeting the individual bunnies at a rescue. Theirs are usually fixed already so their personalities are more readily evident. Then you can just look for one to which you are drawn (and vice versa).

While it does depend on the individual, I'd say with certainty that bucks are more naturally inclined to seek your attention. I've been raising rabbits for most of my lifetime, and the bucks are definitely more personable, especially unaltered.

I have very friendly does as well, but they are rabbits that I spent a lot of time with when they were younger. I find that an inherent puppy-like temperament is less common in does.

I'm a newer bunny mom so I will give my thoughts based on this. Everyone has given excellent advice as that each bunny is an individual with its own personality. One thing I would recommend you consider as well prior to your getting a bunny, are you going to get a young bunny from a breeder/pet store or an older/rescue bunny that has already been spayed/neutered? If you are getting a young/baby bunny that you will later on be spaying/neutering, you should take into consideration that it is easier on a male to be neutered. A female has a much more invasive surgery, also more costly. If you are going to a shelter or rescue to find your bunny, then I would look more at their personality. Just my two cents to possibly consider when making your decision. Wish you the best as you do your research prior to getting your bunny!

I have about an 8-9month old Flemish giant/ angora spayed buck who isn't especially affectionate, but isn't mean either. He's very hyper though but that may mellow with age. I also have a spayed 2+ year old spayed female who is a lop and she is sweet as pie she let's you pet on her and will sit in your lap for a little while. I also have a 6 month old unspayed Flemish giant does who is also sweet ad pie and will follow me around and begs for attention. So my experience is that it all depends on individual personalities. None of my rabbits are mean and all of their tempermants are different. I think it has a lot to do with how they're treated when they're little too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Latest posts

Back