Buck stops mounting halfway through breeding.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah Martz

Reaction score
So I’m trying to breed my two holland lops and it started well but my buck stops mounting the doe when he has already started going.
I’ve checked both of my rabbits ahead of time and they are both in fine health, also the doe’s vulva is dark pink so she should be at the right time to breed. They have also both had litters previously with different rabbits but are new with each other.
It starts okay when I put her into his cage and she will sniff around a bit but then will settle down and let him mount her. She will lift her tail to him and he looks like he is fine to start breeding. He will start to hump her and it will look like it is going normally until he just randomly stops and gets off of her. It doesn’t look like he is falling off like he would if he was done, he just kind of stops. The buck does this multiple times until my doe will get annoyed and start mounting him. Pretty soon they will both get tired and end up just laying down. I really don’t know what to do because they seem to be doing it right st first. Has this happened to anyone else and do you know how to fix it?

Haha I used to say that my bucks that did this wanted a little bit of a fight from her or to make sure she is into him. I’m definitely being anthropomorphic but that’s how I saw it. There are a few things you can’t try that I’ve done before.

Sometimes instead of putting them back together the next day I would wait a couple of days after he first tried breeding. This would usually work and cause him to be a little more motivated to breed.

I’ve also tried to get the Dow going before. I used to breed tans so they have a little bit of a tude sometimes. I would try to push the doe around his cage kind of make her move and this sometime interested him more.

You can try switching their cages for a couple of days so put his in hers and hers in his. Then introduce her back to him.

Some people swear by the moon and bunnyrabbit.com used to have a moon chart on their website that showed the most fertile days for breeding. We did this once and from what I remember it worked.

Those are some of my suggestions at least. Of course you can do all of these and mix and match hopefully something works!

Latest posts

Back