bubbles keeps trying to steal my crunchy granola bar

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_

Reaction score
bubbles really likes to sneak up on me and try to steal my granola bars. is there anything in it that can hurt him if he tries to nibble it?

Attachments

• IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Probably not but there's a lot of sugar, I generally don't give my rabbits anything I'm not sure about. But if you have a vet you could ask that's what I would do.

Those were actually one of my horses favorite treats.

Lots of sugar and carbs, so not the best thing for a rabbit to be given though. Could lead to disrupting the normal microflora in the gut and cause mushy poop(or possibly more serious digestive illness) if too much gets eaten. But shouldn't be harmful if he manages to steal a tiny crumb, if he's not sensitive to digestive issues. Think of it as the treat category, no more than a very tiny amount should be allowed in a day. Fresh fruit would be a better treat though(small amount per day, properly introduced, gradually to avoid digestive upset), but only for rabbits not prone to it causing digestive upset.

Those were actually one of my horses favorite treats.

Lots of sugar and carbs, so not the best thing for a rabbit to be given though. Could lead to disrupting the normal microflora in the gut and cause mushy poop(or possibly more serious digestive illness) if too much gets eaten. But shouldn't be harmful if he manages to steal a tiny crumb, if he's not sensitive to digestive issues. Think of it as the treat category, no more than a very tiny amount should be allowed in a day. Fresh fruit would be a better treat though(small amount per day, properly introduced, gradually to avoid digestive upset), but only for rabbits not prone to it causing digestive upset.
bubbles tries to eat anything and everything and has only had 1 digestive issue in 3 years because of the stress of moving.

This is by no means condoning or a recommendation.... but my sister's daughter took in one baby bun of an accidental litter I took care of, from a neighbors rabbit. And when the rabbit was older, my niece got one of those giant hershey's chocolate bars for christmas. Well she stuck it under her bed and forgot about it. A couple months later she remembered and went to get it out from under her bed and all that was left was a chewed through wrapper. Their bunny was free roam in the house and had gone up to the daughters room and eventually ate that whole chocolate bar unbeknownst to her. Luckily their bunny was fine(actually lived to be 9 before passing) and didn't die from his ill advised(and dangerous) snack, but definitely shows you what mischief those little rascals can get into.

an entire chocolate bar? how did the bunny not have medical issues?

an entire chocolate bar? how did the bunny not have medical issues?

Yeah, I don't know. By the time the wrapper was discovered, it was completely gone. Maybe it was slowly consumed, gradually over those couple of months, so it wasn't an immediate shock to the bunnies system. He also might have been one of those bunnies with a steel gut, that could eat anything and come out ok. Definitely not like my bunnies now. The slightest thing will upset their stomachs.

Latest posts

Back