Brushing - When are you done?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maylinagurl3

Reaction score
Hi! This may sound like a silly question, but during a shed, how do you know when is a good time to stop brushing? I’ve been warned not to overbrush, and I’ve heard of people brushing for 2 hours, but is a good rule of them to stop brushing when there’s no resistance, or will there always be resistance when brushing the hair? My bun is shedding for the first time. Thank you!

I generally try to brush a little bit every day. It can be very hard to brush until no more hair comes off a shedding rabbit, you could brush all day long. I have rabbits who don't enjoy being picked up and handled too much, so I just brush them on the ground until they get tired of it, give them some treats and do it again later. One of mine would tolerate brushing for hours, the other has a five-minute tolerance and it's better to remove her extra fur without a brush (damp towel or by petting). It should be fun rather than a stressful activity for everyone involved. The goal is to remove as much hair as you can, but also be a bonding activity.

The brushing is never really done. I let Lawrence determine when he's done being brushed... One trick I learned (which may receive mixed reviews on here) is using a sticky lint roller. Lawrence doesn't seem to mind! I've also used the "wet hand" method too!

I try to brush my girls a little each day. One tolerates it, but isn’t really a fan (she used to hate it, but is coming round). The other loves it, but still won’t hang around for very long. So I brush until they’ve had enough and let them be on there way.

I have seen some advice to set aside at least 45 mins every couple of weeks and do a big grooming session, but I think that would take all the enjoyment out of it for my two, as I’d have to force them to sit still and they wouldn’t like it, so little and often works for us.

I started brushing Cinnabun as soon as I brought her home. She's shedding now so brushing is important.
I brush twice a day, for about 10 mins. My bun LOVES IT. She'll throw the brush when she wants to be brushed.

Latest posts

Back