Brown pee?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it is fresh, that is most likely bladder sludge. I found this link (it is different from the last one I sent) and I think it will be helpful: https://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/blog/bladder-sludge-in-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs.

Thank you, let me check out the link. I just called the vet I have an appointment on Wednesday. Should I keep it or will bladder sludge go away? I trying to save money since I will be getting another bun soon and I won’t to make a checkup for him.

If you read that link it will tell you how to clear it up and this is what it says:
"What can I do to prevent/treat bladder sludge?
  1. Increase water intake. An increase in water consumption dilutes the urine and helps prevent the formation of stones, while also helping flush out the kidneys to reduce stress. Make sure both a bottle and tip-proof water dish are available at all times to encourage drinking. Include these vessels in both the habitat and any other areas where they exercise or explore throughout the day. It is also important to ensure all bottles are properly positioned and functioning properly. Replace with fresh water no less than every other day.
  2. More exercise. Get your pets up and moving! The more your rabbit or guinea pig moves, the more they shake up the contents of their bladder. This moves the high calcium urinary sediment around, helping prevent stone formation. Movement may also stimulate a desire to empty the bladder more regularly.
  3. Improve sanitary conditions and enclosure. Use a high-quality, absorbent bedding that wicks urine and other fluids away. A clean enclosure will promote healthy urination and keep things moving to prevent stone formation. At minimum, spot clean enclosures every other day and deep clean once a week. If possible, provide a multi-level enclosure, or one that promotes movement. This will help increase activity (see #2).
  4. Increase fresh green intake to upwards of 15-20% of their diet. Be sure to do this slowly and monitor your animal to ensure they are tolerating the dietary change. Really focus on the low calcium greens (http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/) with smaller amounts of veggies and even less fruit. The fresh greens can increase water intake (see #1) as well as provide vitamins, minerals (other than calcium), and phytonutrients to promote a healthy and properly functioning urinary tract.
  5. Eliminate packaged treats. Packaged treats provide concentrated little nuggets of nutrients, which may not be beneficial for animals with bladder sludge. The increase in greens (above) will be their new treat.
  6. Offer a variety of grass hays and eliminate alfalfa from the diet. Alfalfa hay is great for some animals; however, it contains much higher concentrations of calcium and may exacerbate bladder stone issues in some animals. Rotating your grass hay offering will also provide some enrichment and discourages picky eating by keeping your pet excited about their hay.
  7. Offer a grass hay-based pellet at recommended daily feeding amounts. You can also consult with your veterinarian to see if reducing the amount of offered pellets may be right for your animal. Reducing the volume of pellets and offering an increase of loose grass hay and greens will dilute dietary mineral concentrations and may help reduce strain on the kidneys.
  8. Offer Oxbow’s Natural Science Urinary Support Supplement. This highly-palatable supplement provides herbs that support normal urinary function/health. This supplement contains:
  • Glucosamine (plant-based) to support the replenishment of mucous that lines and protects the bladder.
  • Marshmallow root and dandelion leaf which are natural diuretics to reduce water retention and promote urination.
  • Astragalus root which acts as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant to protect kidneys from oxidative damage and support renal function.
  • Cranberry which is an antimicrobial that helps prevent urinary tract infections.
  • Pumpkin seed to help relieve spasms and cramping from urinary disorders.
In some cases, you cannot prevent the development of bladder sludge. However, implementing some of the above actions can help to reduce your animal’s chance of stones or provide relief to an animal with stones."

Thank you, let me check out the link. I just called the vet I have an appointment on Wednesday. Should I keep it or will bladder sludge go away? I trying to save money since I will be getting another bun soon and I won’t to make a checkup for him.
I would keep it. If your adopting the rabbit, it’s likely that you won’t need a check up. As the shelter would do it for you. But if not, you could do check up yourself.

Read the link and I bought her new oxbow treats once a day sometimes two use think that’s the cause? And also I use to use Oxbow urinary support table things I need to get more!

The treats may be why she got this. I would remove all the treats from her diet (including fruit) and stick to a hay and water only diet for a few weeks to see if this improves.

The treats may be why she got this. I would remove all the treats from her diet (including fruit) and stick to a hay and water only diet for a few weeks to see if this improves.

Yes, I think so too I fell bad :( should I wait to take her to vet and see if it gets better? Has your rabbit had bladder sludge?

Read the link and I bought her new oxbow treats once a day sometimes two use think that’s the cause? And also I use to use Oxbow urinary support table things I need to get more!

Sorry I just realized I had a lot of typos I was in a rush

Don't feel bad, you didn't know. You said that your appointment is on Wednesday? If so, I would wait until then and if you see it is clearing up I would not take her. I have not had a rabbit with this before, but I have done some research. I'm not sure how long it will take to clear up, but I found this link and I think it will also be helpful: https://rabbit.org/health/urolith.html. Sorry I've been sending so many links, I have a bad habit of sending links to answer questions.

Don't feel bad, you didn't know. You said that your appointment is on Wednesday? If so, I would wait until then and if you see it is clearing up I would not take her. I have not had a rabbit with this before, but I have done some research. I'm not sure how long it will take to clear up, but I found this link and I think it will also be helpful: https://rabbit.org/health/urolith.html. Sorry I've been sending so many links, I have a bad habit of sending links to answer questions.

It’s okay the links help. I’m hoping it can clear up here. I’ll give it some time. Thank you Apollo and Theo.

How would I know if the urine sludge is completely gone? She went pee in her litter box. The litter is brown so it’s hard to see.

I agree with the replies here. It's usually not an issue if it's occasional. That color of urine happens from time to time and isn't generally a concern. If it was blood, it would be bright red and not an ocher color.

Latest posts

Back