Brought my first piglet home! :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLove89

Reaction score
I got my first piglet 2 days ago! He is a Juliana/mini potbelly cross who I named Bentley. He is still getting used to me and is a bit nervous, but he has already discovered that me coming up to him means..BELLY RUBS! Which he loves.
He is a pet, not food, and I'm pretty sure he'll grow up thinking he is a cat since I have 4 kittens who he is going to be raised with. My parents are getting about 15 pigs to raise and butcher and I would rather have Bentley with other socialized animals as opposed to being with animals whose main purpose is to get fat enough to eat (I would consider socializing them but there is no point, and also I would get attached and my dad may come out and find some "missing" pigs. ). My kittens already love Bentley. They go in and out of his pen, they swing on his crate door like little monkeys, and whenever he's napping they all crowd by the door of his crate and look at him like "hellooooo? Wake up!" They also make a pretty sneaky team. I'm pretty sure they were in cahoots during the night. I was keeping Bentley's food on a ledge and he must have convinced one of the kittens to knock it down and into his pen. There was evidence of it being tampered with in an attempt to open the container...sneaky little devils.
This life of mine still feels weird occassionally. A good weird tho. I grew up in a big city (Chicago) and always dreamed of living on a farm. I just knew it would never happen. I never felt like I belonged in the city. I was depressed from various things, and I slept all the time.
I moved to the suburbs in Arkansas in 2010. I felt so much better, but I still wasn't quite where I wanted to be. This past summer we moved to a 31 acre farm. Instantly I got that feeling that this is exactly where I'm supposed to be.
I love it here. I'm engaged to my best friend, I have a whole bunch of animals (6 dogs, 6 cats, 2 horses, 2 goats, 1 rabbit, 2 mice, and 1 pig), and I couldn't be happier.
I can't help but smile each morning when I get up to start on my animal chores. I never thought I would actually enjoy getting up at 5:45 when everyone else is still sleeping, the sun just barely coming out, wearing my polka dot muck boots because of the heavy layer of dew on the ground, but I do. I love it. Something about seeing all my critters first thing in the morning is good for my soul.

Very cute. Several decades ago my grandmother gave me some good advice--"Don't ever name food". Most of our animals back then either produced (eggs) or went to the dinner table. Funny thing though,my dad had rabbits but they were his pets. If you were a chicken, don't stop laying.

I love potbellies. Always wanted one but my parents wouldn't let me.

Latest posts

Back