Broken teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuffinBun

Reaction score
Good evening everybody, my bunny broke his front teeth. He is still active the whole day, pooping but not eating much. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1F0B68F8-81D6-42BE-8911-CDFCDFB842A9.jpeg
    1F0B68F8-81D6-42BE-8911-CDFCDFB842A9.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 25
He will be ok, pain-wise tomorrow. But you have to watch his bottom teeth and make sure they don't overgrow until his other ones grow back. This will take months. You may want to take him to the vet to see if they will remove the rest of the tooth so it will grow back correctly. I had a buck that bit the side of the cage and broke his teeth exactly as yours did. I had to do weekly teeth trims, I used toenail clippers but you may want to use a Dremel or a dog nail filer because the clippers were very hard to use. The vet will also trim them down too, but this can get pretty pricey.

I have been told by multiple rabbit-experience veterinarians that clippers are not recommended. The way they apply pressure to the teeth may cause lateral fractures down the teeth, exposing the gum to bacteria. There may be a difference if someone is more experienced (?), but that is simply me giving some benefit of the doubt to individuals who say they've done it many times with no issues (as I believe it was common practice before dremels were introduced).

I do believe in any scenario, the dremel is the safest and an effective method of trimming teeth. That being said, I'd be hesitant to try anything at all if you have no experience. You have a pretty clear picture to provide, so perhaps you can e-mail this to your rabbit-experienced vet and inquire their suggestion. Making a mistake would cost more money than doing it properly, in all cases.

Actually clippers are what my vet used when I took him in the one time to get them trimmed. I also had a rabbit prior to this that broke her teeth and I didn't have the money at the time and the vet is the one who told me to use the clippers, but it was very hard. But on the other hand, I will never be taking my rabbits back to this vet as he refused to give me any pain meds for my doe who just got spayed after I asked several times. And was totally against bloodwork ( I had no clue how old she was when I got her as she was a rescue and I have had her for 3 years) but I finally got him to do this. I asked him to do the Dremel but again a refusal. I would have used a Dremel had I had one, but with the vet showing me how that's what I did and I forget sometimes that others don't have some experiences as I do. Yeah, don't do the clippers. Just buy a dog nail trimmer and do it that way. Buying a dog nail trimmer is cheaper than buying the tool Dremel.

I have been told by multiple rabbit-experience veterinarians that clippers are not recommended. The way they apply pressure to the teeth may cause lateral fractures down the teeth, exposing the gum to bacteria. There may be a difference if someone is more experienced (?), but that is simply me giving some benefit of the doubt to individuals who say they've done it many times with no issues (as I believe it was common practice before dremels were introduced).

I do believe in any scenario, the dremel is the safest and an effective method of trimming teeth. That being said, I'd be hesitant to try anything at all if you have no experience. You have a pretty clear picture to provide, so perhaps you can e-mail this to your rabbit-experienced vet and inquire their suggestion. Making a mistake would cost more money than doing it properly, in all cases.
Agreed. I wont do it myself. I contacted my vet, sent him this picture and he said it happens to rabbits often and that the teeth should grow back. But he recommended me to come and do the xray if the roots are okey.

Good evening everybody, my bunny broke his front teeth. He is still active the whole day, pooping but not eating much. Any suggestions?

Oh poor baby! I would take him to a vet that has experience treating bunny's teeth.
Meanwhile, help him with the feeding. I would highly recommend Sherwood SARx rather than Oxbow Critical Care. It's more expensive but not crazy expensive and it's 100 times better for your bunny. It does not have soy, which bunnies do not digest well and has much better flavor and ingredients. Because I have Prime, I bought it on Amazon when I needed it. Note: Sherwood SARx has two types: high calories (tan and white bun) and normal (the black & white bun). The high calories is for buns that are loosing weight. I needed the normal so with the black & white bun.
If he is eating some, give him less than the suggested dosage. Actually, I think the suggested dosage is on the higher side. See how much Sherwood SARx he needs to keep the energy and poo-poo normal.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!!

Oh poor baby! I would take him to a vet that has experience treating bunny's teeth.
Meanwhile, help him with the feeding. I would highly recommend Sherwood SARx rather than Oxbow Critical Care. It's more expensive but not crazy expensive and it's 100 times better for your bunny. It does not have soy, which bunnies do not digest well and has much better flavor and ingredients. Because I have Prime, I bought it on Amazon when I needed it. Note: Sherwood SARx has two types: high calories (tan and white bun) and normal (the black & white bun). The high calories is for buns that are loosing weight. I needed the normal so with the black & white bun.
If he is eating some, give him less than the suggested dosage. Actually, I think the suggested dosage is on the higher side. See how much Sherwood SARx he needs to keep the energy and poo-poo normal.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!!
That sounds all good, but in my area there are not even vets specialized for rabbits. And I can’t also get the mentioned critical care food. So I am helping him with smashed banana or cut coriander or carrots. And he still eats small amount of pellets.

I contacted my vet, sent him this picture and he said it happens to rabbits often and that the teeth should grow back.
They will grow back yes, but the bottom teeth will grow much much quicker and will need to be trimmed or the bottom teeth will start to grow into the top gums causing pain and bleeding and causing the top teeth to not grow in. That is what happend when I let the teeth go for over a week.

That sounds all good, but in my area there are not even vets specialized for rabbits. And I can’t also get the mentioned critical care food. So I am helping him with smashed banana or cut coriander or carrots. And he still eats small amount of pellets.

I would avoid giving him any fruits and banana specially because of the high sugar content. Carrots also have lot of sugar. Giving him large amounts of sugar will mess up his GI and create a more serious problem.
If you cannot order the Critical Care or Sherwood SARx online, get some pellet food, mix it with water and feed him that. You can use the baby electrolyte water (unflavored) rather than water to keep minerals in his system. Try to get Oxbow pellets that have more nutrients. You may need to syringe feed him. It took me a while to learn how to syringe fed my bun but if he has a gentle personality, it may be easy for you.

Give him fresh vegetables too. I would increase the amount of the fresh vegetables he is used to and then add a little more variety. I would start with small amounts so he does not get gas. Otherwise, you will get another problem: gas. I hope you have the gas medicine for kids at hand (Mylicon Infant Gas Relief Drops Original Formula; it can be found at Walmart and most pharmacies). When my baby has gas, I give her ~ 1ml 2 or 3 times in a day.
This site has reliable and useful info:
https://rabbit.org/

Teeth grow so if you help him getting the nutrients he needs while his tooth grows back, he should be OK.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Ah! one more little -but important- detail about fruits (=sugar). Bunnies are like most of us, they love sweet stuff. If you give him sweet stuff, he won't eat his healthy food. From what I had seen, they use their back teeth to eat hay so try to give him some nice hay too. Maybe second or 3rd cut to make it easy.

Teeth are growing. I guess its a good sign :)

Attachments

• D5B7261D-C27A-4E47-B7C3-AC787C7E9454.jpeg
    D5B7261D-C27A-4E47-B7C3-AC787C7E9454.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back