Broken nail/ nail bent sideways

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissy

Reaction score
My rabbit fell from elbow height on her left paw nail, she was bleeding (stopped) and her nail seems to be broken but still attached to the toe. She is limping but still applies pressure to hop around her cage. The nail is curved outward and she wont let me touch it, I feel as though it could still be hurting or worried shes actually broken her paw. This happened 2 days ago. I'm not sure to take her to the vet over her nail.

-krissy

I would just be on the safe side. Ours fell from the sofa, she dislocated her toe. Took her to the vets some pain killers and a few checks later it popped its self back into place. Lucky us or she would have had to have her toe amputated as it was causing too much pain. I wouldn’t want them to be in pain, better to be safe than sorry I’m my opinion.

If she's still limping, it could be she also broke a toe, and if so you'll want her seen by a good rabbit vet right away. If it is just the nail, no way to really know what will happen with it. It's just waiting to see if it grows back in ok, and also closely monitoring for any sign of infection, which would require seeing the vet right away for the proper antibiotic and pain meds.

Any news? Is she okay?
Yeah, with in a week she was still limping,decided to clip her nails and the bent nail actually came off completely, no bleeding. Shes okay now, just waiting for her nail to regrow.

Yeah, with in a week she was still limping,decided to clip her nails and the bent nail actually came off completely, no bleeding. Shes okay now, just waiting for her nail to regrow.
That’s good that she is okay now :)

Latest posts

Back