Broken nail, entire quick is showing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernAutumn

Autumn - Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Infirm squad :)

I clipped Stuart's nails last night. He gave a mighty kick and twist as I was cutting the last nail on his foot.
The entire nail came off!!!:shock:
All that was left was the quick.

He gushed blood for about an hour and 1/2 last night. I packed his toes with cornstarch and applied pressure for that time.
Gave 1/4 tab children's motrin.
There is no more blood coming out this AM.

Another 1/4 tab this AM at 7. He is currently confined to a 1 story store-cage with Evie, and he isn't moving around too much (don't want him to hurt his foot) . Stood up for a craisen this AM.

How do I protect the quick from infection? I've never seen anything like this.
I've got the betadine for disinfection.
Is there a way to keep the quick safe from injury and infection? Stupid question, but can I coat it with something?
He rips foot bandages off, and anything sticky rips out his rexy fur.

Thanks for reading my question :)

You can clean it daily with betadine and/or apply neosporin (if the scab is dry enough). I know angieluv has taken cotton gloves and cut off the fingers to use as booties for bunny feet, secured at the ankle.

Fiona lost a nail last summer. The bleeding is pretty scary, isn't it. I took her into my vet (where I was working) and Dr. Franco just gave me some animax (similar to neosporin) to put on it. She didn't show any signs of pain and, in time, it grew back.

Thank you for the response, girls :)
I will def. get the neosporin on him.
Should I continue with the motrin?

(horrifying! I would have never believed that THAT much blood could come out of a rabbit - making matters worse, he's white!!! Nothing looks worse than blood on a white bunny. Now, he's also purple from the motrin slurry :p... gah!)

If he's putting weight on it just fine and eating just fine I wouldn't do pain meds (our buns are so sensitive, I just don't like to drug them if I don't think they really need it)

Latest posts

Back