Broken Light Grey Rabbit...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoints

Reaction score
Ok so when I started this bunny breeding thing I thought it was cute...I didn't realize how complicated it was. At first, about 3 yrs ago, I got 2 rabbits from the pet store, and to let them be friends. Lo and behold, I found out they were boy and girl:kiss:. I never neutered or spayed, I thought it would be neat for them to have babies. Well, the Dad was a Harlequin Otter, and the Mom was a Broken Black Mini Lop. I thought the kits would have one ear up and one ear down. I didn't know color OR ear genetics. Well you see, all the rabbits had ears UP. I took the only buck from the litter (broken harli otter), and mated it with the sister, a Chocolate Tort. Their first brood was stillborn (probably bc the doe was only 5 months old didnt know how to care?). But they had a second brood, 6 kits. 2 died off quickly, they had 1 Tort Buck, 1 Tort Otter Doe, a Broken Tort Doe, and then this Buck...Any idea on what color he is? The couple had a sister who was Sable Point...so maybe its a broken Sablepoint? Not sure...H:\Kodak Pictures\6-29-2013\img_3905.jpg
IMG_3285.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3905.jpg
    IMG_3905.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 202
seems like a broken sable point. If you are interested in breeding you should try to invest in good quality stock to improve the rabbits. There are a lot of unwanted pets, so if you breed you should try to breed for the better of the breed not just to breed.

Are the two pictures of the same rabbit? They dont look like it but im not sure. The first picture looks like a VERY LIGHT harlequin and the second looks sable point. Please do not breed pet store rabbits and to make it much worse inbred pet store rabbits. They were sold to a pet store for a reason. I really hope you are not planning on selling these babies.

Breeding siblings isn't usually a good idea, especially if you don't know the parents' background. I'm not too surprised you had problems with both litters. You're asking for more health problems if you continue to inbreed.

I didn't have problems with any litters, actually. In fact, I had three other pairs I was breeding, not related at all, and 2 of the couples had a tough time having good babies, they had many stillborns. This bro-sis combo produced my best-colored, best-temperamented, cutest, hardiest, out of all 4 pairs i bred.

@whoalookitsme: That is the same rabbit, i think bc the second pic is when he's older and bc of different angle and lighting it looks a lot different. We actually have sold a lot of the rabbits - but we know that at least most of them have good owners, we also teamed up with other breeders and we trade. If someone who wants the rabbit seems odd or something we interrogate them and we NEVER let them go to anyone who wil eat them. one guy tried to do that and we had to turn him away, got hostile.

1 more thing...I have NO IDEA how i had so many rabbits that looked just like this and no solid sable points from this litter...since the Dad was a broken and the Mom a solid u would think that half would be solid half broken...and that was the case for all of the rabbits besides this one color, this grey-sable color always came out broken. If i had a solid of this variety maybe I would have a better idea of what the heck it was!

I stand behind my statement that breeding siblings with an unknown background is opening yourself to problems. Breeding young can cause a stillborn litter but so can health issues caused by inbreeding. Kits dying "quickly" is also a possible indicator. How old is this litter now?

I second majorv they were pet store rabbits for a reason. They aren't meant for breeding. Most people that have pets they breed use the offspring for meat because they can't be shown and there is already an overwhelming population of pet rabbits.

@majorv Theyhad 3 litters; 7 months 5 months and 3 months. That rabbit I pictured is about 5 months.

I disagree with the brother-sister breeding, but they're your rabbits. Is she having litters every 2 months? Are you re-breeding her as soon as she kindles and then weaning each litter at 4 weeks? If so, that's very aggressive breeding and you run the risk of losing her if you don't give her a break...

No we gave her a break...we actually gave her to another breeder more serious about good quality.

Latest posts

Back