Broken hidden nail!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
I was combing Storm earlier today and i noticed that his right front paw's hidden nail was sticking out sideways.
We struggled with me inspecting it since he won't stay still in any method i try. So with loads of troubles i finally got to see it. His poor little nail had snapped in half and bent inside at an almost 90° sideway angle, dangling from the remainder only by a small white nail fragment. I couldn't hold him steady enough to gently snip it off... the remaining nail didn't seem to have bled but was a nasty irritated reddish pink colour with split-ragged ends, almost as if a tree had fallen down and hung onto its trunk by mere threads. He pulls away when i try to hold/touch his paw and nail, so he's in obvious pain.
If we can somehow manage to snip the loose part off and see that it heals nicely, then do we need to see the vet?
Is it okay if we give him meloxidyl orally? 1ml/kg the packet says so it would be 4ml for him. If so, then how often?

I won't be able to snag a pic since he just won't stay still long enough.

Maybe someone can hold your bunny while you try to properly check the nail? You can maybe still trim it if he'll let you. Not sure if possible but maybe the quick broke from inside? =/

I'm not familiar with meloxidyl but upon checking it seems to be a generic version of meloxicam which is pain meds which he might need. I would ask the vet first if its okay to give to your bunny :)

Maybe someone can hold your bunny while you try to properly check the nail? You can maybe still trim it if he'll let you. Not sure if possible but maybe the quick broke from inside? =/

I'm not familiar with meloxidyl but upon checking it seems to be a generic version of meloxicam which is pain meds which he might need. I would ask the vet first if its okay to give to your bunny :)
Now he won't let me touch the paw, much less the toenail, at all. The vet has prescribed us meloxicam before with 1ml to 1kg of body weight, so i've given him that in hopes that an hour later he'll be willing enough for me to do the quick snip.

I managed to hold Storm's body still while dad held his paw for me so i got to snip off the broken bit. Gave him the painkiller. (All happened yesterday evening)
He's now totally acting fine!

His toe seems to have steered clear of any damage whatsoever. I'll have to see if he's now willing enough for me to get a pic since i'm not yet entirely sure myself. At least he stipped holding his paw awkwardly, so that's a good thing!

Latest posts

Back