Broken Bones in Paw. Just rest?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyjatt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my 5 month old Holland lop Ollie, unfortunately had an accident and broke/ fractured the inner two bones in his front right paw. Vet said he should be fine healing on its own with restricted exercise and metacam for pain, and that bones will heal quickly as hes so young but might grow and heal crooked. Will this be a problem for the future or do you guys think its the safest and best option as its just 2 smaller bones? X ray is attached, thank you for any input!

Attachments

• xray.jpg
    xray.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 6
It may repair itself. The only other thing they could do is to wrap it in a band/splint. But it may not be necessary since it’s a front paw. Do you trust this Vet and their opinion seems sound? If so I would follow what they recommended. If the answer to the above is no, then try to seek another opinion from a different rabbit savvy vet. Monitor how your rabbit does. Are they slightly better? Seem worse? In a lot of pain despite the current protocol? I hope your bunny recovers. If something doesn’t seem right , don’t hesitate to contact your vet.

It may repair itself. The only other thing they could do is to wrap it in a band/splint. But it may not be necessary since it’s a front paw. Do you trust this Vet and their opinion seems sound? If so I would follow what they recommended. If the answer to the above is no, then try to seek another opinion from a different rabbit savvy vet. Monitor how your rabbit does. Are they slightly better? Seem worse? In a lot of pain despite the current protocol? I hope your bunny recovers. If something doesn’t seem right , don’t hesitate to contact your vet.
Thanks for your input! the vet did also offer the choice of trying a splint but he said he did not think it would do much as the other 2 bones in foot were fine and would help in putting weight down etc. I do trust the vet but just do not want him to develop an unnecessary limp if it can be avoided so just looking for further insight!

Latest posts

Back