British Columbia Rabbit Savvy Vets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
Please contribute to this list of rabbit savvy vets in British Columbia.

here's a list from a rabbit org's board, with notes from sas and pipp.

VANCOUVER AREA:

Dr. Upjohn
Eagle Ridge Animal & Bird Hospital
2599 Runnel
Coquitlam, BC
Phone: (604) 464-3343

Notes: Dr. Upjohn is phenomenal, ANDa major supporter of rabbit rescue organizations in the Lower Mainland. He's about 40 minutes out of downtown Vancouver.

Dr. Jack Brondwin
Arbutus West Animal Clinic
2809 West 16th Ave.
Vancouver, BC
Phone: (604) 736-6701
http://www.awac.ca/

Notes: Jack Brondwin is Pipp's vet, he's very savvy and up to date on his meds. His partner, Dr. Martinez, is also rabbit savvy (he keeps talking about how he grew up on a farm with 400 rabbits), but he's definitely more old school, with breeder-oriented experiences.

Dr. Janne Potter
West Boulevard Veterinary Clinic
5383 West Boulevard,
Vancouver, BC, V6M 3W4
Phone: (604) 266-7421 / FAX: (604)263-6740
[email protected]
http://www.wbvc.bc.ca

Notes: Again, I checked her out on the phone, they seem more holistic oriented, but very good.

Dr. Rob Ashburner
Medicine and Surgery of Small Animals and Birds
510 West 24th Avenue
Vancouver, BC, V5Z 2B4
Phone: (604) 873-4433

Note:I've checked them out on the phone, they seem pretty rabbit savvy, although I didn't think they were quite as good as the top three.

Dr. David Huff
Huff Animal Hospital
1512-56th Street
Delta, BC, V4L 2A8
Phone: (604) 943-1124

Guildford Animal Hospital
101-9547 152nd St.
Surrey, BC
Phone: (604) 588-2626

Kennedy Heights Animal & Bird Hospital
8614 120th St
Surrey, BC, V3W 3N6
Phone: (604) 591-5304

Dr. Prus
King George Veterinary Hospital
7380 King George Hwy
Surrey, BC
Phone: (604) 597-7387

Blueridge-Cove Animal Hospital
165 Riverside
North Vancouver, BC
Phone: (604) 929-3491

Dr. Anderson
Anderson Animal Hospital
8465 Granville St.
Vancouver, BC
Phone: (604) 263-6767

Note: I have NOTheard good things about Anderson's, but I have no personal experience. (Pretty sure they're pricey, though).

VANCOUVER ISLAND:

Dr. Joan Brocklebank, Dr. Saskia VandenBosch
Shamrock Veterinary Clinic
1896 Guthrie Road
Comox, BC, V9M 3X7
Phone: 339-2026

Dr. Bruce Renooy
Van Isle Vet Hospital
211-130 Centennial Drive
Courtney, BC
Phone: 334-8400

Dr. Ken Langelier
Island Veterinary Hospital
1800 Bowen Road
Nanaimo, BC
Phone: 753-1218
24 hour emergency number 753-1288

Dr. Susan Nightingale
North Douglas Veterinary Clinic
3888 Carey
Victoria, BC
(250) 727-2268

Note: I researched this vet, she seemed good.

OTHER:

Dr Linda M. Kaplan
Tri-Lake Animal Hospital
10564 Powley Court
Winfield, BC, V4V 1V5
Phone: (250)766-3236 or 1-866-766-3236

I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Prus.A few vets rec. her to me, even the one I had been going on first off.She's experienced in exotics and she seems very rabbit-savvy.

Dr. Mike Lavroff

Dr. Kathy Rasmussen

Vetcetera Pet Hospital

Kelowna, BC

250-762-7181

Dr. Mike and Dr. Kathy are awesome with clients and theirpets. They've been our vet for the past five years and havealways been more than helpful and considerate.Theyhave experience with bunnies and other small rodents andwhat they don't know they're more than willing to learn. Ihighly recommend both of them.

New(ish) vet out in Maple Ridge (about 50 minutes out of Vancouver).

Dr. Adrian Walton

Dewdney Animal Hospital Ltd.
11965-228 Street
Maple Ridge, BC V2X 6M1
Phone: 604-467-1161

Dr. Walton apparently worked with Dr. Upjohn at Eagle Ridge and Dr. Brondwin at Arbutus before opening his own practice.

He comes highly recommended by SARSBC, I assume he's been helping them out. I always like to support vets who support rescues. :)

sas :)

Dr. Bowie
Burnaby New Westminster Central Animal Hospital
7877 Kingsway Burnaby
604-521-0781

They no longer do rabbits. When I started getting desperate about where Muffy was going for emergency help, I contacted them and they said the last owner did rabbits but she's no longer around.

Apparently, there's a vet clinic in South Burnaby where one of the vets does rabbits.. but because she wasn't in until the weekend, I had no time to wait.

Dr. Prus at King George saved my life. She was the only one willing to take Muffy on such short notice.

Does anybody know about Dr. Archek and Dr. Hughson, who are both at the Arbutus Clinic?
Are they good with rabbits? Have any experience?
I usually see Dr. Brondwin there, but he is out of town for a while.

Also, with Dr. Martinez, what are his rates?

Thanks!!

Jen1717 wrote:
Does anybody know about Dr. Archek and Dr. Hughson, who are both at the Arbutus Clinic?
Are they good with rabbits? Have any experience?
I usually see Dr. Brondwin there, but he is out of town for a while.

Also, with Dr. Martinez, what are his rates?

Thanks!!

Yikes, missed this. I don't think either doctor had any experience at all with rabbits prior to Arbutus, at least my research didn't show any.

Martinez is very reasonable, depends on where he sees the rabbit, though. He still doesn't have his own clinic.

Best to email him and ask. Let him know where you live (and if there's parking).

sas

Yea, that's kinda the impression that I got from both Dr. Archek and Dr. Hughson (although they both said they had experience with rabbits...)

I have seen both of them with my rabbit in the past week, since Dr. Brondwin is away, and while I don't know how extensive their rabbit experience is, I would definitely pick Dr. Hughson over Dr. Archek, she seemed much more knowledgeable when I was talking to her about possible things that could be wrong with Wally (the whole gimpy leg, fluid sac incident).

I believe Archek was an SPCA vet and Hughson was agriculture. :twitch: Hughson is supposed to be very nice, but so was the the guy who, in effect, killed my little Scooter bun. :(

Can you please update your thread in the Infirmary? Love to get an update, but best to leave this thread on topic.

Thanks.

sas :bunnydance:

Hi I am a new rabbit owner. Over a week ago I decided to take my rabbit for a check up for his running nose and breathing noise. I checked the list and went to Western Boulevard Vet Clinic -- because it is the most convenient one for me.

The assistant was very friendly. However, I didn't get Dr. Jenne Pott as vet for my rabbit. I had a lovely, young female vet. The overall experience isn't very good, to be honest. The meeting was brief. It turned out there is an foreign object my rabbit swallowed in his stomach, shown on the x-ray, and the vet suggested an operation on the stomach asap because "it is easier to do it on the stomach than intestine." I didn't feel trusting enough to go on with it, so I took my rabbit to see Dr. Sharon Prus a week after. Dr. Prus had a different opinion on this matter. She said we could wait a bit and observe the prograss. It could get out of the system by itself although there could be difficulty. Even if there should be a surgery, it is easier to cut a small opening on the intestine, than to open the muscle layers of the stomach (and which is not empty.)

Personally, Dr. Prus's confidence level assured me more. But since I have not personally had a meeting with Dr. Jenne Potts, I would like to know if there is ANYONE who has first-hand experience with Dr. Jenne Potts in the West Boulevard Vet Clinic and please share their experience with us?

Thank you.

I took Gus to see Dr. Walton at Dewdney Animal Hospital in Maple Ridge for his sore foot. He seems fairly rabbit savvy. And his prices were similar to Dr. Upjohn's in Coquitlam. So, being he's closer, I'll most likely continue taking Gus there.

Dr. Joseph Martinez now has his own clinic in Richmond (Steveston).

Little Paws Animal Clinic.
130-12011 Second Ave (beside Ichiro)

He's one of the best bunny vets in the area.

Pipp wrote:
Dr. Joseph Martinez now has his own clinic in Richmond (Steveston).

Little Paws Animal Clinic.
130-12011 Second Ave (beside Ichiro)

He's one of the best bunny vets in the area.
Dr. Martinez now has a website, http://littlepawsvet.com/

He recently treated our big rex, Priscilla, who had an eye infection. It has now cleared up very nicely. You can tell Dr. Martinez really likes bunnies.

Latest posts

Back