Brining home two Holland lop brothers!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunmum11

Reaction score
I’m bringing two buck Holland lops from the same litter. I know they will be okay together now while they are young but how good of an idea is it to have two bucks together? Are they likely to fight? I added some photos of them just for fun. They’re so sweet and I’m excited, I just want to make sure they do well together. 4F6E8727-A96C-49D4-9BDD-8EC91475C3B6.jpeg
4FE43FC8-AA3E-493A-884A-8F3C57A7458D.png

They’re really cute 😍
Many people have successfully bonded a pair of bucks. At about three to six months of age, your rabbits will likely change they will be maturing. They’ll probably be more aggressive towards each other and that is when you will need to separate them. This is when most people get them neutered. You can also decide to have them neutered when they are over 8 weeks.
After neutering you will need to wait a bit longer than a month for their hormones to go down, and then you can start to bond them. The neutering will make the bonding process easier.

I’m bringing two buck Holland lops from the same litter. I know they will be okay together now while they are young but how good of an idea is it to have two bucks together? Are they likely to fight? I added some photos of them just for fun. They’re so sweet and I’m excited, I just want to make sure they do well together. View attachment 46478
View attachment 46479
I hope they are at least 8 weeks old? You can keep them together BUT then you must have them neutered as soon as testicles descend, at around 12 weeks. Otherwise, when they mature they are very likely to fight and you might not be able to rebond them.

Hi, they look very young, how old are they now? You can keep them together until 10-12 weeks or a bit later depending on their temperament, you will see signs when they start humping each other and chasing/circling you will have to separate them before they start fighting, because even after neutering (you will have to wait about 2 months after they neutered to start rebonding them) if they had a major fight they can remember that and if will be very hard if not impossible to rebond them.

Generally it wasn't great idea to get two brothers tbh. I have adopted two pairs of brothers from the same situation, one boy has horrible scars and a hole in his ear, he also had bad scar around his eye but thankfully it healed already he's just lucky the eye itself wasn't damaged.
Other pair also have some scars on their backs and on ears but healed nicely you only can feel them with your fingers but they are not visible as fur grew back. When they start fighting it goes very quickly and even if you are there you won't be able to stop most likely.

The second pair both boys were neutered immediately after their first fight and stayed separately for 6 weeks, then they were put back together and they had a fight again so people just gave up on them they were too scared and kids were horrified.

So please separate them at 10-12 weeks before they start fighting and keep separately until 2 months after neutering, then do research on bonding rabbits and follow instructions you might be able to rebond them.

Last edited:
I hope they are at least 8 weeks old? You can keep them together BUT then you must have them neutered as soon as testicles descend, at around 12 weeks. Otherwise, when they mature they are very likely to fight and you might not be able to rebond them.
They will be 9 weeks old when I get them. In 3 weeks! Okay I will keep that in mind :)

Hi, they look very young, how old are they now? You can keep them together until 10-12 weeks or a bit later depending on their temperament, you will see signs when they start humping each other and chasing/circling you will have to separate them before they start fighting, because even after neutering (you will have to wait about 2 months after they neutered to start rebonding them) if they had a major fight they can remember that and if will be very hard if not impossible to rebond them.

Generally it wasn't great idea to get two brothers tbh. I have adopted two pairs of brothers from the same situation, one boy has horrible scars and a hole in his ear, he also had bad scar around his eye but thankfully it healed already he's just lucky the eye itself wasn't damaged.
Other pair also have some scars on their backs and on ears but healed nicely you only can feel them with your fingers but they are not visible as fur grew back. When they start fighting it goes very quickly and even if you are there you won't be able to stop most likely.

The second pair both boys were neutered immediately after their first fight and stayed separately for 6 weeks, then they were put back together and they had a fight again so people just gave up on them they were too scared and kids were horrified.

So please separate them at 10-12 weeks before they start fighting and keep separately until 2 months after neutering, then do research on bonding rabbits and follow instructions you might be able to rebond them.
They are 6 weeks and I won’t be getting them for 3 more weeks. I appreciate your honesty. When your pairs started fighting how old were they? Did you notice any aggression before they started to actually fight?

They are 6 weeks and I won’t be getting them for 3 more weeks. I appreciate your honesty. When your pairs started fighting how old were they? Did you notice any aggression before they started to actually fight?
Oh I read that wrong. You rescued rabbits that were in that situation. Ok, I plan on doing my due diligence in making sure I avoid any fighting.

They both started fighting at around 4 months, both pairs as one pair were brothers and other pair not but just two weeks difference between them. I adopted them after they were separated and neutered so I wasn't there, but I know it well because I had babies myself and it starts usually with humping or just chasing and fur pulling, I wouldn't keep them together after 3-3,5 months, especially if you can't watch them 24/7 as it can be a very short fight with lots of troubles

Oh I read that wrong. You rescued rabbits that were in that situation. Ok, I plan on doing my due diligence in making sure I avoid any fighting.
It also depends on personalities, some rabbits are very active and want to show dominance at 9-10 weeks, even brothers can be different temperaments, one can be calmer and other more fighter so it is very individual

They both started fighting at around 4 months, both pairs as one pair were brothers and other pair not but just two weeks difference between them. I adopted them after they were separated and neutered so I wasn't there, but I know it well because I had babies myself and it starts usually with humping or just chasing and fur pulling, I wouldn't keep them together after 3-3,5 months, especially if you can't watch them 24/7 as it can be a very short fight with lots of troubles
Well I adopted them they were 4,5 months so they were neutered 4 weeks before that so it was when they were 3,5 months as they had to visit vets after fight to get some stitches and were neutered not sure if same day but maybe a few days after that.

It also depends on personalities, some rabbits are very active and want to show dominance at 9-10 weeks, even brothers can be different temperaments, one can be calmer and other more fighter so it is very individual
I’m hoping for the best but I know that can be unlikely so I’m going to take the extra time to make sure I’m doing all the correct steps of bonding

Latest posts

Back