Bringing rabbit indoors on a hot day

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo

Reaction score
Robbie is an outdoor rabbit but where I am it can get hot in summer, as it is right now. I would like to bring Robbie inside on hot days, though he has no experience being indoors. I was thinking of putting him in the main bathroom. He is three years old and I have only had him for a few months, but I don't think he is litter trained in any way. I realise you can't litter train a rabbit in a day but any advice on how to guide him to use the toilet in a certain spot, eg on a tray, on newspaper, or something? If not I was thinking of taking him outside every now and then to the spot he usually goes outside, though not even sure how often I should do that and whether it will work.

It may work out easier than you think. Rabbits naturally choose a spot to go potty and return to the same spot. They also generally don't like to "go" on smooth surfaces. So if you have a tile or lino (ie. smooth) floor surface in your bathroom, remove any rugs and provide a good size plastic container (litter box) with some litter inside and top it with hay. The cushy hay will entice them to hop inside and then they'll typically potty while grazing on the hay. Place the box in a somewhat secluded spot in the bathroom to further encourage pottying there.

Here's a bit more on setting up the litter box. How it is setup will really be key in whether or not he decides to use it.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
Bear in mind that when a rabbit is in new surroundings, it's normal for them to drop territorial poos all over the floor initially. It is the urine you want him to leave in the litter box. As he gets used to the new space, he'll gradually lessen the amount of those territorial poos.

Thanks Blue eyes for the valuable advice, am pleased to say that the first try at bringing Robbie inside worked well. No accidents at all!

Latest posts

Back