Bringing my first rabbit home tomorrow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any tips, y’all? What should I do?
You need to post some pics and tell us your story! Then you'll get a lot of tips :)

P.S. Congratulations on your new family member :)

Oh I had to read twice you're bringing home tomorrow!
From my own experience have the cage all ready so you don't have to change anything there for a couple days as they can go stressed, and make a little hide for him or her so they could feel safe, do you know already is it him or her? And what breed and what age etc? Have you met before or it will be your first time?
Good luck tomorrow anyway, keep us informed :)

32EF46E4-5826-416F-9879-13F342902FAE.jpeg A6F07FB9-258B-4928-ADE5-B20A464C19FE.jpeg Hi! We got him about 5 hours ago :) he’s a 6 month old English Lop. I had him transported from Pennsylvania so this was my first time meeting him. Before we went to pick him up this morning we bought a bigger cage that has a wire for his droppings. As of now he’s in the original crate we got him. The new cage has been built and I just need to put all his stuff in there :( I feel bad moving him into a new cage since he’s already so stressed but I figured doing it now would be better than waiting a week for him to get comfortable in the current cage and then just moving him again. But I’m not sure. What would y’all recommend as it pertains to that?

Also here are a couple pics :)

Can you post a photo of the new cage? Wire bottom cages are not ideal. Big bunnies are especially more prone to sorehocks with wire bottom cages. If you can build the cage without the wire, that would be better.

Rabbits litter train so easily, it is easier to clean out a litter box than deal with a wire bottom and scrubbing urine off wire.

The current cage you show in the photos is rather small, but if you have an x-pen that you can place around the opening, it would make the cage larger. In that case, you wouldn't need the other (new) cage. The x-pen doesn't have to be set up to be as large as shown in the photo below (not mine) but gives you the general idea.

Unless you are 100% sure that the other cage is going to be a better option, I would not switch him. It may be that the current crate with the x-pen will be more suitable than the new cage.

Attachments

• penelope-cage_1_orig.jpg
    penelope-cage_1_orig.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Can you post a photo of the new cage? Wire bottom cages are not ideal. Big bunnies are especially more prone to sorehocks with wire bottom cages. If you can build the cage without the wire, that would be better.

Rabbits litter train so easily, it is easier to clean out a litter box than deal with a wire bottom and scrubbing urine off wire.

The current cage you show in the photos is rather small, but if you have an x-pen that you can place around the opening, it would make the cage larger. In that case, you wouldn't need the other (new) cage. The x-pen doesn't have to be set up to be as large as shown in the photo below (not mine) but gives you the general idea.

Unless you are 100% sure that the other cage is going to be a better option, I would not switch him. It may be that the current crate with the x-pen will be more suitable than the new cage.

The new cage is a little over 5 square feet. I’m currently trying to find a way to connect both of the cages. I’ve also got some places he can rest his hawks in there. Also, once he’s settled in I’m gonna let him have free range most of the day. He’s not neutered and won’t be since I’m going to be showing him— I’ve heard that that makes them way harder to litter train. That may not be true though.

Latest posts

Back