Bringing home a new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbunnyx

Reaction score
Hi there,
I will be adopting my second bun from a family friend who can't take care of him anymore. His name is Twix! Anyways... I'm going to pick up Twix on Wednesday the 12th and I will bring my carrier. It is quite small, but he can still move a bit. I might stay at my friend's house for a bit... But they won't have their cage anymore. What should I pack for him? He will need to stay at their house in the carrier for a few hours. Please tell me what I should pack for Twix!

What I always pack when my bunnies are in the carrier: Bowl to fill water, treats they are used with (pellets, veggies, herbs, apples) and filling up the carrier with hay. That’s all I need and I will reguarly make sure to give treats when being in the carrier. If it will be warm I will also have freezed water bottles my bunnies can snuggle up to.

What I always pack when my bunnies are in the carrier: Bowl to fill water, treats they are used with (pellets, veggies, herbs, apples) and filling up the carrier with hay. That’s all I need and I will reguarly make sure to give treats when being in the carrier. If it will be warm I will also have freezed water bottles my bunnies can snuggle up to.
Thanks! Is it safe for bunnies to have Dried Parsley Flakes?

Hi there,
I will be adopting my second bun from a family friend who can't take care of him anymore. His name is Twix! Anyways... I'm going to pick up Twix on Wednesday the 12th and I will bring my carrier. It is quite small, but he can still move a bit. I might stay at my friend's house for a bit... But they won't have their cage anymore. What should I pack for him? He will need to stay at their house in the carrier for a few hours. Please tell me what I should pack for Twix!
I would not want to keep a bunny in a carrier for hours in these circumstances. Can you not either leave the bunny where he is living now until you're ready or just pick him up and go? I assume they have food and hay for the bunny so bring that back with you. You could also take a plastic bag to put some of the bunny's poop and wet litter in and dump that into his litter tray when you get home.

I would avoid treats with a new rabbit that is travelling. The stress of moving can risk GI stress. Adding sugar to his gut only increases the risk of GI stress. It is different if a rabbit is accustomed to travel. But moving to a new home is always a stressful event for a rabbit. I'd stick with just hay and water (and perhaps any greens IF they are greens that you know bunny is already accustomed to eating regularly).

Latest posts

Back