Bright Orange Crust by eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaUK

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Last week I noticed a tiny spot of bright orange crustiness next to my female Roxy's eye - just one eye - I tried to pick it out thinking it was just pollen/ dirt but it wasn't coming out easily so I left it and it disappeared. This morning my male rabbit has the same thing in just one of his eyes. I don't want to be alarmed if it's nothing but I've never witnessed this or heard of it before and just don't know what it could be - neither rabbit has had any distress with it.
I've tried to take a couple of pics but they haven't come out too well as the spot of orange stuff is so tiny. If anyone has any ideas what it is please let me know.
Thanks

DSCF2368.jpg

I'm sorry no one replied yet. So many bunnies have been ill this month, it has been hard on everyone...

I'm afraid I cannot help you though. I have no idea what it could be. So hopefully someone has an idea and can help you out :hug:

Hi Rebecca! We've missed you here lately. :)

This one is a bit of a puzzler, I haven't offhand found anything specific, hopeful Pam can take a look and see what she thinks.

Here's the Library thread, if you didn't look at it before.I think the first link has great photos and medical info re: a variety of eye ailments.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14567&forum_id=10

At first before I saw the pics, I thought it might be an off-colour sty, but not really sure about that. Is it any better or worse?

Hopefully it's nothing, just an abrasion, but if it's not healing, best to have it looked at. Eye problems can be tricky.

sas :clover:

EDIT: Hmmm... just re-read the post and noticed you said both bunnies have it.

Definitely a puzzler. I've asked Pam to take a look when she gets a minute.

Ok, went to the vets yesterday - she said it's a parasite on the eye corners called Harvest Mite! She had never seen it on rabbits before - only dogs, sheep etc!!! Bit of a worry as she didn't have anything to treat it with as the only licensed treatment was for larger animals. She has give me some Bayer 'Advantage' for flea treatment but I'm a bit concerned about that actually getting rid of the mites. Upon closer inspection the mites are not just around the eyes but deep in the ears and also may be under the fur in various places. The vet did say they are not harmful just uncomfortable for the buns and very itchy and eventually they will go on their own. I'm concerned about using flea treatments on my Benjamin though as he often suffers a bad reaction to flystrike treatments etc and goes into a panic if anything is applied to his skin - actually ripping the fur out if he can get to it - if he can't he runs around in a blind panic til the irritation has worn off! I'll let you know the outcome as the vet is due to ring me this afternoon to let me know whether the Bayer Advantage will actually help with the mites.

Oh wow

Thanks for letting us know. I had no idea what it was. :?I hope your bun gets better soon :rose:I'm glad you took him to the vets!

Maybe Pam will post, I think she knows, but I don't think Advantage works for mites,they usually useIvermectin I think.

Any word from the vet yet?

Glad you took her in!

sas :)

I didn't have any guesses as to what the condition was, but am glad to hear that the vet had a diagnosis. Since Benjamin is a sensitive bunny, we'll leave the rx recommendation to the vet ;)

Pam

The vet phoned me yesterday after speaking with a collegue and suggested I bring the buns back and we vaccinate them with ivomectin - which I understand may prevent further re-infestations which are likely to happen as our garden borders loads of long grass near a school. Hopefully this may do the trick although I was a bit nervous - had to sign a disclaimer as the product isn't licensed for use on bunnies or something! The buns seem ok today - Benjamin was a bit tired and laid down a lot last night but that's probably a result of two vets visits in two days and a jab for myxi and a jab with ivomectin all within 24 hours!

Just noticed this thread, in looking for threads to put in a Library thread about blind bunnies...

Whatever happened? Did your boy get better?

Hi - yes the bunnies are totally back to normal now - it only took a couple of week for the rest of the harvest flies to bug off and disappear! I felt so bad for my babies but they are fine now. It is a possibility that in late summer next year the buns could get reinfested at harvest time but hopefully not, xx

Latest posts

Back