Bright green poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessc

Reaction score
My bunny suddenly has bright green poop. It’s hard and s seems more oval shaped than round. It seems to have just been happening a day so I’m not sure if there is something wrong or if it’s just something temporary/not harmful passing.

he has constant fresh hay and water, and feed him a very small amount of pellets at night. diet hasn’t changed and behavior seems normal.

should I take him to the vet?? I’m worried! Thanks!

The only time I've seen bright green (non diarrhea) fecal poop in a rabbit, is when a member here posted about something similar. They took their rabbit to the vet and it turned out being a problem with the rabbits liver. I don't remember if it was because the rabbit had hepatic coccidiosis, or if it was some sort of other liver problem. Oval or tear drop shaped fecal poop, can sometimes occur with coccidiosis as well. Other possible indicators of hepatic coccidiosis could be a pot belly appearance, rough looking coat, reduced or loss of appetite, lethargy, and/or feeling boney along the back and hindquarters.

If he hasn't had a new food in the diet just previous and now the poop is completely back to normal that could possibly explain the change of color, I would get him to an experienced rabbit vet by tomorrow at the latest. If it is a liver condition, it may need immediate treatment. The vet will probably need to do a blood test and possibly xrays.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thank you! I attached a photo of what it looks like

Attachments

• 0517C522-CF40-4214-AC88-D0557E41B16E.jpeg
    0517C522-CF40-4214-AC88-D0557E41B16E.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 14
That doesn't look bright green to me, unless it came out looking different. That just looks normal from what I can tell, though it is a little more green than what I'd normally suspect. Maybe break it open and see what the inside looks like. And is this fresh and they're still coming out this way, or have they gone back to normal now?

His poop is typically brown so I guess color change just seemed alarming! The shape has gone back to normal- less oval but color is still different than usual.

The nearest emergency vet is very far so just wanted to see if it was something of immediate concern. But plan to take him to vet on Monday just to be safe.

Thanks so much for your help and timely response it is really appreciated !!

If the excess green color isn't from improperly digested greens, then bile would be the next thing to cause a bright green color, which is why I mentioned possible liver issues. And there's really no way to know if this is serious or not, without diagnostics done. Hopefully it's just a random occurrence that's not going to be anything serious.

I hope so but going to get him checked out this week to be safe. Thank you so much for the help I appreciate you!!

Have you got a child who may have forgotten to pick up all of his/her crayons?

Latest posts

Back