Breeds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
I really hope this is the right forum... I'm still trying to get used to where to post things! Well, I'm not really sure what breed I want. I've narrowed it down to a few but I would like to see who has personal experience and hear from you about them! I mean really, who would know better about a breed of bunny more than someone who's owned it? I know there has to be differences allowed for individual personalities, but I'm hoping to just get a good, very general overview. Now, the breeds I'm considering: Dutch, English Spot, Holland Lop, Mini Lop, Mini Rex, and maybe Polish.I say maybe because I've heard they can be skittish, same with Nethies. The only breed I've owned is Mini Rexes and I adored them.

I guess I'm really just looking for a sweet, curious, affectionate kinda bunny. And I don't want a really big one either. So anyways, here's your chance to share your experiences with them :biggrin2:

Dutch are my favorite rabbit breed, I am actually getting into raising dutch rabbits.

Twilah is amazing, she is the happiest rabbit I've ever had. Constantly doing bunny 100's and binking up a storm.

She LOVES toys, never gets tired of hers.

But because Dutch are so active I feel they should have larger areas than other calmer breeds. Or at least let out to run the house everyday.

~Hayley

Of the breeds you have listed - I have had Holland lops and a Mini-Lop. I want so much to have a mini-lop buck again - the one I had before was super super sweet and loved to get pets and just loved getting attention from humans. I had rescued him from someone and wound up rehoming him with a gal who wanted a mini-lop for 4H (she had done a bunch of research and was able to tell me WHY she wanted a mini-lop) and she had money to buy the cage and everything the rabbit needed - but not the rabbit also. Her 4H leader was with her at a show and talked to me (before bringing her over) to ask if I would consider reducing his price (they didn't know his price - that he was free if I could find a good home).

Anyway - I rehomed him and I am sure he got a great home - but then found myself missing him terribly. If I ever get another mini-lop in a rescue type situation - I will not foster it - I will ADOPT it.

If you're wanting a smaller rabbit - go with a holland lop - but I don't find them as affectionate as the mini-lops.

Still yet - my holland lops have been a blast also.

Polish are really small (They say Netherlands are the smallest rabbit, but Polish are smaller, in size..) but they can also have attitudes!!

They can be kinda fiesty. At least Savannah can! I only have her, so I don't know about other Polish.

I do know that Savannah's half-brother caused quite a problem for my friend who had to switch to him for Fit & Show at the fair once. He was being quite difficult.

Emily

Tiny breeds like netherland dwarf rabbits have a tendency to be quite skitish, I currently have one and used to have another one, both of them were skitish and my friend has two, both of are skitish. I have a lionlop, her ears don't lop anymore but she is the sweetest rabbit ever and I have heard from other people with lops that they are very friendly too.

I used to have Polish many years ago, and while I really do tend to go for larger breeds, I have to put in a good word for these guys. The ones I had were all Personality Plus (with the exception of three I bought sight unseen from a breeder and had shipped in). The Polish, in my experience, are a wonderful little breed who can be quite charming. Skittish...sometimes, yes...but overall my guys weren't skittish, they were quite entertaining, active and curious.

I also grew up with a couple of Dutch and must say I love that breed too...very amicable, at least the ones I had. Not quite as active as the Polish but still with a ton of energy, and very very loving little bunnies.

LOL...you'll probably decide on a breed and then unexpectedly come across a rabbit for sale that wasn't at all what you'd planned on...you'll just see *him* or *her* and fall in love...and that'll be it. ;)

If you have any good rescues or shelters near you, you'd be able to find out about the rabbit's personality in advance, and find the one that's perfect for you. There is no guarantee of any personality traits in a particular breed. Also, if you get a baby rabbit it's personality could change as it gets older, my Maddie is a totally different rabbit now from when she was a baby. Just something to think about.

Of the breeds you've mentioned I've only had a mini rex and she was very highly strung and bit a lot, I absolutely adored her but my family were kinda scared of her. Though with time and attention she mellowed out a lot. I've had three lop mixes too, all related but all totally different personalities. Ruby is the daftest thing I've ever met and afraid of nothing, Pebble was very shy and reserved, but so lovely and calm when she trusted you, and Ebony likes to think she is the boss, and is very confident, not so big on being petted though. :)

Hope you find the perfect bun, though I agree with Bassetluv, you will just know when you find him or her.

I have an English Spot buck- I LOVE him. He is such a clown. Compared to my other rabbits, Spot [haha, original name :p], is incredibly smart and curious. He picked up his litter box training immediately, and he loves to take clothes, papers, wires, etc. that I leave on the floor and hide them under my bed. While he's not a snuggle bun, he loves to follow me around the room and will puddle for head rubs.

The thing you have to remember with English Spots is that they're a running breed- They were bred to RUN. They are incredibly active, and need a large cage with lots of free-time. Aside from the random bursts of energy and the fact that these guys are nosy and will get into everything, English Spots are great little rabbits. :)

Holly

I have Hollands currently.. and have had Fuzzy Lops and Rex rabbits, too.

The Hollands are adorable little buns - curious, independent and active. They are small (standard sized buns are 4 lbs and under but some go oversized).

Check their mouths for "butting" teeth or an "off bite" - this does happen in the breed due to their round heads and will require the teeth to be trimmed by a veterinarian (or the vet can show you how to do it) so the bun can eat properly.

Good luck with your search -

Denise

Guy my Holland Lop buck is a very sweet andaffectionate bundle of energy who makes his attachment to me clear in many ways.

Ebony is a regular (larger) sized mini-lop doe. Athletic, cautious but inquisitive, sweetly assertive but not aggressive. Likes pets when she is relaxing and has to check out everything and everyone.

Jo xx

Rabbits are bred for looks, not personality, so there are very few breed personality characteristics, unlike with dogs. It is best to go to the shelter and ask the volunteers about the rabbits' personalities and find one that fits with you!

Tonyshuman makes a great point. I've met a lot of rabbits and shared my home with several. It's more about the individual personality than breed, but of course there are breeds that TEND to be calmer/more active, independent/cuddly, ect.
I've also noticed a difference, in my personal experience, between males and females. Females being more independent and temperamental and males being more laid back and affectionate.

My dutch: Raised from a tiny baby (came from a breeder). She's a doll and we love her, but she is definitely an independent rabbit who likes everything on her own terms. She has a huge personality and makes us laugh every day.

Holland Lop (mixes?): My first two rabbits were holland lops, supposedly, though I believe they were poorly bred or mixes. They came from a pet shop at 3 months old, so who knows about their history. The female had a big attitude. She didn't really like people so much as she tolerated them. She was very moody and very destructive. Her brother was much more easy going. He was more affectionate than she was but had an attitude also and could be very demanding (such as jumping up on the couch and biting you if you didn't pet him fast enough). These rabbits were both fixed at 5 or 6 months, and this went well past the "teenage" stage. I feel this is not typical of the breed and was a result of poor breeding and/or lack of socialization at a young age.

Minilop: my first minilop came from a pet shop. He was an ideal rabbit.. if it weren't for the chewing. Affectionate, calm, laid back.. great rabbit. I miss him a lot. The second minilop was a female I fostered for several months. She had a very questionable background that included being isolated to an outdoor cage for at least a year with limited human contact when she was a young bunny. She was extremely fearful and high strung. She was extremely territorial and terrified of humans despite living for several years indoors with her previous owner. She slowly came around and turned into a friendly rabbit before she was adopted, though she was still very skeptical and I doubt she'd ever be a cuddly rabbit.

Minirex: I fostered one recently and he was basically the perfect rabbit. He had several homes and a questionable background as well, but from day one had perfect litter box habits, sought out attention even from us strangers, he was very easy going, liked other rabbits, wasn't destructive. He was a great little guy.

I think if you're looking for a calmer, affectionate rabbit your best bet is to go to a rescue group and let them give you some options. You never really know what a rabbit will turn out like despite the breed. But honestly... a lot of the bigger breeds tend to be calmer than the smaller guys.

I agree with Tonyshuman each rabbit is different . I breed netherlands own a dutch and blue beverens and had 2 dwarf lops (your mini's lops) would never own a lop again Im afraid to say they do nothing for me. However I love the personalitys on my nethies I have calm snuggly nethies I have cheeky let me play nethies I have who do u think u are nethies but I have to say I have never had a vicious one. Put all the breeds in front of me and its a netherland every time!!
However DUtch are fab great pets easy going good sized. I love my pet dutch he is fab (just make sure they are neutered I have been sprayed more times than I like to think about :p )

As was said before go to a rescue or I would also say perhaps a breeder who will (because they spend so much time with their rabbits) be able to match you a personality.

I'm a huuuuge nethie fan too! My baby Zeus was a tiny little thing (2lbs) with a huge personality. He was a trouble maker and very active but he was the sweetest most friendly rabbit I've ever had. I definatly wouldn't have described him as skittish - but I do believe that every rabbit has their own personality. Barnaby is a lionhead, who I read are suppose to be calm and more on the friendly side, but Barnaby is veeery shy and nervous around most people, don't know if that has to do with his past or if that's just how he always was - he was only 8 months old when I got him.

I have two 2 year old holland lops now too, that I've only had since Jan. but they're sweeties. The male (Toki) is a bit of a trouble maker - he's an escape artist! He likes attention most of the time, but sometimes would just rather do his own thing than be around me. The female (Amelie) is a little calmer, she doesn't play with toys as much, but she'll sometimes follow me around the apartment and doesn't usually mind being held. Both of them are a little over 4 lbs, so pretty small, and have a decent amount of energy, although they arn't as hyper as Zeus use to be.

But going by what you say you want, I'd say your best bet is to just look in a shelter or for people with rabbits they need to rehome. If you adopt an older rabbit, it's personality will already be developed and less likely to change, and hopefully it will already be spayed/neutered.

My vote- Mini Lops! Such sweet affectionate personalities... I find most everyone one insists upon head rubs before you feed them in the morning.

Even though it's not on your list- I'm going to recomend Himalayans. They are by far the most relaxed breed of rabbit, and pretty much the only breed you can pick up like a cat without them freaking out on you, but they can also be super feisty! They're friendly, nice, sweet, gentle rabbits.

Thank you everyone for your input! I agree that it would be a really good idea for me to go spend time with different rabbits at a shelter, but I don't know that there are any around here that I could do that with. But thank you all again :)

I have taken a look on there and that is actually what made me go even more towards adoption, seeing all of the homeless bunnies in my area alone. But I do have a question. What if I am interested in showing? I would possibly like to adopt a bunny and if they fit their breed standard just show them for fun. I don't really have any intentions of breeding, just think shows sound like a lot of fun. But I have seen where one rescue in my area does not allow you to show rabbits adopted from them. Do most rescues have this policy? I just don't really see the problem with this as long as I have no intentions of breeding it...

You would be better to post that question over in the rabbitry. I am not sure on ARBA's policy or whether they do pet shows alongside their main shows. :D

I think only 4-H and county fairs do pet categories. Spayed and neutered animals cannot be shown in ARBA shows, only in pet classes. That's probably why the rescue won't let you adopt if you plan to show--they want their animals to be fixed.

Latest posts

Back