Breeds for Bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
I'm looking for a rabbit to bond with my Mini Rex, Theo. Does the size, age, etc. matter? What is the best method of bonding? Both rabbits will be spayed/neutered and not be housed together until completely bonded. Once they are bonded can I put them in my Theo's playpen, or will that break the bond since it was his but now he has to share? I am looking into Lionheads, Lionlops, and Flemish Giants (if you think other breeds would be better plz let me know!)

Which rabbits breeds have you been happy with their personality? I'm not interested in getting a lop. I have nothing against them, lop ears just aren't my type. I understand that Lionlops are a mix of Lionhead and lop, but I will get one with regular ears.

Also, I have tons of questions about Flemish Giants. Like, how much food, how much room, and can they be housed outside? I also read that they are prone to fur mites and ear mites, is that true? Would it be okay to house a Giant rabbit with a Mini?

Thanks!

Breed type doesn't make any difference. Age only makes a difference in that a much older rabbit will presumably pass away before a younger one, leaving the younger one then needing a new partner.

The most critical part of bonding is to allow Theo to choose his bondmate (not you). That is why it is recommended to go through a rabbit rescue. They allow you to bring Theo in to pre-screen for potential compatibility. The big plus is that their rabbits are already fixed!

Here's more on bonding.

Breed type doesn't make any difference. Age only makes a difference in that a much older rabbit will presumably pass away before a younger one, leaving the younger one then needing a new partner.

The most critical part of bonding is to allow Theo to choose his bondmate (not you). That is why it is recommended to go through a rabbit rescue. They allow you to bring Theo in to pre-screen for potential compatibility. The big plus is that their rabbits are already fixed!

Here's more on bonding.

Thanks for responding! The main issue with rabbit rescues is that they will only let people adopt who will house them indoors. I would house them indoors, but my dad and brother are highly allergic and my mom is strictly against indoor animals. I don't want to have to lie to a rescue about where I will be housing them.

Hmmmm... yeah, I'm familiar with that requirement. It's possible they would re-consider if you showed them photos of your setup? (not the photo I think you posted recently that was taken before the toys etc were placed in there, but a photo of the complete setup including hay, toys,etc) Isn't Theo in a shed now?

Yes, he is in a shed. I will email the rescues and ask them if they will reconsider.
Two questions about bonding: when you first get a rabbit do you need to house it right beside the rabbit you are planning to bond it with or house it in a different room so that it can get settled? And, how would you bond with a rabbit and your other rabbit not get jealous?

Latest posts

Back