Breeds/Colors.In Development?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troller

Reaction score
To all the show goers and people in the know, I was curious what are the rabbits currently being developed for certification with ARBA? I was thinking about Flemish and how I love their colors, which got me thinking that these colors were developed over years, as were lionheads (who are almost accepted?) So it just got me curious what future rabbits we might see.

I dont have my Domestic Rabbit Magazine with me. This includes what happened at the last convention and what breeds were pass/fail by the standards committee.

The two varieties of lionheads that will compete at the 1st try at 3rd showing are REWs and Torts. This means if they pass in Penn that they will now be a recognized breed.

If you have ever seen a Champagne D'Argent their chocolate counterpart is also currently trying to be recognized. They were a no show this past time so they will have a 2nd try at the 1st showing in Penn.

Velveteen lops were at convention but I am unsure if there is a current COD holder. I assume there is. Those are an english lop with rex fur. Im on the fence with them on if i like them or not.

Of course there are tons of colors being worked on in mini satins, britannia petites, and mini rex but the above are the actual breeds being worked on

Here is the board from this past convention. Like I said a full explanation and article is printed by the standards committee in the domestic rabbit magazine if you are an ARBA member. Flemish will most likely stay with the colors they have. They are a group that has been around for a very long time and most of them are prone to no change.

77AD4659-BEB3-4ECA-BDE9-801B49A2E462-481-000000E85C82B7BC.jpg

0A0CEA04-2A62-4C0D-97CF-6C5C49250F63-481-000000EABF109E8C.jpg

Lorri Stillo of Ohio, (I think that's how her name is spelled) is the COD holder for Velveteen Lops, they have another year before they can start showing again, I"m fairly sure. I'll be getting a couple of mine back this coming spring at Ohio Mini Convention.
I also have Chinchilla Dutch, which failed 1st try at 3rd showing this past NOvember but with high hopes they'll pass next year!

In theory I guess I know what a chin Dutch looks like but I'd love to see a pic of the actual thing. As for Flemish, I thought I read about someone in MA working on a spotted one. Personally I like the seven colors as is, but its interesting to hear about.

Does anyone know why the Euro standards are so different then then the American, since if I recall correctly they do accept lionheads?

The lady who raises flemish with me was talking about people breeding brokens. They are out there but new varieties must be okayed by the breed club and she makes it sound like brokens wont be accepted or passed

lionheads are accepted overseas.

Last edited:
The current COD for Black Lionheads was terminated. But new CODs were issued for blacks, pointed whites, blue point, REW, sable point, siamese sable, and smoke pearls. All but the black and pointed whites are under the same person...NO clue how one person is going to develop that many colors with success. Best of luck to them!

I was sad to see the COD terminated for the lilac Polish. :(

Does anyone know why the Euro standards are so different then then the American, since if I recall correctly they do accept lionheads?

The standards for each breed do vary, some more than others. Since pretty much all breeds originated in Europe, the standards were changed in North America. I would assume that people over here saw some things they liked and some they didn't in a breed and bred as they wanted. It does take time for a breed to get recognised, so the snadards can be changed as they go. It seems to be more about different tastes in different areas.
Again, lionheads were developed in Europe and brought over. I think they have changed quite a bit since then and are smaller now. They have been mixed with smaller breeds like Netherland Dwarfs. The body type has changed as well. England also recognises the Lion Lop which is a lionhead with lopped ears. The way I understand it is that if the Lionhead gets recognized by ARBA, a lionlop will not be as the only difference is the ears.

Recognizing different breeds is a lot to do with what breeds are around and if there are people working on them. There are a lot more countries in Europe that may have their own breeds or differences of a same breed. They can also have different rules for accepting a new breed, so it could be easier.

I was pretty "iffy" about the Lionhead breed myself, but now that I think about it more I think I'd like to see if become a breed. I think that it would breathe a lot of life into the hobby since there are SO many people wanting to work with them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that there had been a lot of in-fighting within the Lionhead breed? I thought that I had heard that there were 2 schools of thought about which direction the breed should take and that is why it's been so hard getting them to pass.

Also...it seemed like there were a lot of tries that failed due to toenails. If you're working on a COD isn't this something that you would NOTICE before taking them to Convention? Or, is it something that they did notice and they're trying to get comments on everything else??

There was a lot of in-fighting, but I haven't heard anything in months so maybe they got everything ironed out?

About the toenails: I won't state the breed, or the COD holder, or the judge that was helping with them, but.... the group I overheard knew full well that there were toenail DQs. The judge stated, "Maybe they won't catch them. Show them anyway." I didn't see the toenails in question, so maybe it was really hard to notice...

Latest posts

Back