breeding tips

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was going to ask the same thing, I'll just ask it here. As I'm having trouble getting one of my does to take. I was given her from another breeder because she couldn't get litters out of her. She's a bit over weight still, so I'm still slimming her down, but she won't lift her hind end. I've tried cage breeding and table breeding. Swapping her into the bucks cage for a couple days and still no luck. There's nothing wrong with her at all, that anyone can find.

Any suggestions?

Breed:Holland Lop

Feed: 4 oz's Manna Pro, Pro Series rabbit feed, hay, alfalfa cube

I ask and say something. Did you buy her or did she give her too you?
A lady tried to sell me a granded(6legs) tort holland lop for $50, why was she priced so low? Couldn't get a litter out of her(only 7 months). I don't care how fabulous the rabbit is, it is of no use unless it can not improve my herd after it is show retired
Anyways, buch of tricks.Tips like Heather said. If you have a reluctant doe, use table breeding or maybe ribbon tied to the tail. A lot of breeders leave the does in for a couple days. Apple-cidar vinegar. Superstitions like only breeding on a full moon... a bunch.

I'm going to say it's her weight, even if she does get pregnant it will be a complicated birth from her weight. Get it down, try again :D Good Luck
I breed them, watch him finish(fall over and grunt) then do it again an hr later, then repeat 6 hours late if I'm not busy. I palpate at 13-14, if not positive I'll try again.

The other breeder gave her to me, because she had no extra cages and had a few doubled up from her last litter that she hadn't sold yet and were showing just as well as Cher(bunny), just in a bad location for having lots of babies. I had the extra cage space and I knew at least one of my boys was usually very good with hard to breed does. But yes, I will try her again in a couple more weeks. I want to give her at least another week to thin down, she's already dropped 8 oz with a resctricted diet

The best tip I was given for overweight does is to cut feed out for 2 weeks and only feed unlimited hay at the end of 2 weeks the does will be raring to go works a treat with nethies.

I do have a doe I don't breed any more she always lifted and took but never had a litter I think she just didn't like breeding tbh so I gave up!

I never leave a 12 hour gap breeding tbh I breed then rebreed an hour later and possibly another hour after that again it gives me a really good success rate. I read an article a couple of months ago about breeding and it was recommending roughly the same idea

she was right around 4.5 pounds. i thought she was pregnant when i first got her she was so big. not so bad nowI sitll want ot try and get 3 or 4 more oz off

Table Breeding: you put the doe and the buck on a table (flat surface ). The doe is less likely to run around and exaust the buck. The doe will uaually sit still and lift for the buck. Varies with different does
Ribbon: I justed learned this.one. tie a ribbon or string to the doe's tail. And lift her when the buck mounts. It actually worked for me

Latest posts

Back