Breeding tips? and litter boxes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Out of this world bunnies

Reaction score
My mini rex doe is about to give up her current litter on Nov 1st, i have some questions.
When should i breed her again? i want to get 2 litters in before next year and she is an inside rabbit so it wouldn't be too cold for the babies, what can i use for bedding in a nesting box? also does anyone have tips on how to keep maggots away from bunny cages? i am tired of maggots in her litter box and i clean it often.

What are you using currently for litter? It is quite unusual for there to be any maggots in indoor litter. I have personally never seen maggots in almost 3 decades of keeping indoor rabbits.

What are you using currently for litter? It is quite unusual for there to be any maggots in indoor litter. I have personally never seen maggots in almost 3 decades of keeping indoor rabbits.
it is just normal cat litter from the store, i put some lavender oil in it just now cause i read that can repel them and its non toxic.

I've never had maggots in a litter box even in outdoor rabbits. Do you have a fly problem? Are you sure its maggots?

CharlieRae asks a good question. Could you be seeing something else, like parasitic worms?

There are numerous cat litters that are considered unsafe for rabbits. Be sure your cat litter is not clay, clumping, scented, or dusty.

CharlieRae asks a good question. Could you be seeing something else, like parasitic worms?

There are numerous cat litters that are considered unsafe for rabbits. Be sure your cat litter is not clay, clumping, scented, or dusty.
it is a clumping litter, i will change it to a new kind of litter. thank you for helping me :))

As to breeding her again, it would be best to give her a few weeks before breeding her again. You could breed her right away and have back to back litters, but it’s harder on the doe. If you do that you do need to giver her a break before a third litter. Make sure you’re giving her a good quality pellet that’s 15-16% protein.

On the litter, we would find little worms when cleaning out litter trays sometimes with our outside rabbits...they were from flies laying eggs in it.

Agree with majorv. I would absolutely not recommend trying to get two litters of babies out of your bunny before January. You can breed her now and get one litter born in December then wean the babies at 8 weeks and wait one or two weeks and breed her again but that would be sometime in February. You want to make sure she is in a good body condition and not overweight or too thin as this can have negative effects on her fertility.

Majorv is my mom and yes we had worms in the trays but our trays were not in the cage of our rabbit they sat underneath. Our rabbits were in all wire cages and they pooped through the cage and it dropped into a pan below their cage.

I do agree with making sure it’s actually maggots and not worms. You can take in a fecal sample to the vet to have it checked out. And cat litter is usually not recommended as said above. We used wood pellets for our litter and it was much safer for the bunnies

Agree with majorv. I would absolutely not recommend trying to get two litters of babies out of your bunny before January. You can breed her now and get one litter born in December then wean the babies at 8 weeks and wait one or two weeks and breed her again but that would be sometime in February. You want to make sure she is in a good body condition and not overweight or too thin as this can have negative effects on her fertility.

Majorv is my mom and yes we had worms in the trays but our trays were not in the cage of our rabbit they sat underneath. Our rabbits were in all wire cages and they pooped through the cage and it dropped into a pan below their cage.

I do agree with making sure it’s actually maggots and not worms. You can take in a fecal sample to the vet to have it checked out. And cat litter is usually not recommended as said above. We used wood pellets for our litter and it was much safer for the bunnies
I found fly eggs with the maggots so i would assume that it is maggots? i have seen worms cause i have a cat and they look VERY different.

Latest posts

Back