breeding ????s

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which one is female? Why is it you want to breed them? How old is the female?

I am not sure why you would want to put them together Is there something you are tring to acheive from it?

Mini rex tend to be a bit bigger than nethies so the only way to do it would be to use a nethie buck to a mini rex doe. but unless you really know what you are doign you are better to stick to same breed matings :)

As a general rule your buck should not be bigger than your doe as this increases the risk of birthing difficulties.

What are you hoping to achieve by crossing these two breeds?

the male is a netehrland dwarf and i have a female mini rex i was just wondering did i say i want to breed them no i did not i was just wondering cause my son ask me if we could and i told him i would find out this is a forum which means ask ???s the doe is a yr old and the male is 8 mths old

iowarollers wrote:
the male is a netehrland dwarf and i have a female mini rex i was just wondering did i say i want to breed them no i did not i was just wondering cause my son ask me if we could and i told him i would find out this is a forum which means ask ???s the doe is a yr old and the male is 8 mths old
If the doe has never been bred before then she is too old for a first litter.

Has the doe been bred before?

You say she is 1 years old, if she hasn't been bred before then the kits will end up as pencil kits. They are not nice to look at :( Believe me

irishbunny wrote:
iowarollers wrote:
If the doe has never been bred before then she is too old for a first litter.
Beat me too it!!!

I think people presumed you would breed them because you asked about whether or not they should be bred. People did answer your question though (apart from me, because I'm awkward and like to ask questions), but given that you're not going to, tis all ok :)

she had a litter last yr i was told so thats all i know what if i were to breed them well i have a genitic defect or a funny looking rabbit i have heard of people cross breeding they cross breed everything else these days just was checking into it kevin

I think you would have to look very carefully at why you were doing it and what you would hope to achieve, also how you would find new homes (if you intend to sell them) and make sure they were good, safe homes.

If you want to breed, could you maybe look at getting a mentor and then breeding properly?

you will get some with rex coat and some with normal coat. I believe the rex coat is a recessive gene so more with normal fur (jenson better to ask) so I would expect just a mutt breed rabbit which are harder to sell on to be honest

iowarollers wrote:
she had a litter last yr i was told so thats all i know what if i were to breed them well i have a genitic defect or a funny looking rabbit i have heard of people cross breeding they cross breed everything else these days just was checking into it kevin
If you breed those two you will have a litter of crossbred rabbits. You may find it difficult to sell them as crossbreds can be hard to find homes for, sometimes it's hard even for well bred pedigrees rabbits. You will need to have homes ready for the babies before you breed.

Polly is correct, the Rex gene is recessive so you will only get normal coated rabbits.

There should always be a good reason to breed a litter. Thousands of mutt and pedigree rabbits die in shelters because there are not enough homes for them. If you are going to create more rabbits they should be good quality, bred for health, temperament and as close to the breed standard as possible.

The reason behind breeding should be love for that breed and wanting to see it healthy, strong and happy with a huge fanbase to make sure that breed goes from strength to strength. Well, that is my motivation when I decide to put a buck and a doe together and I know that most good breeders here have the same genuine love for their breed of choice.

iowarollers wrote:

"did i say i want to breed them no i did not i was just wondering cause my son ask me if we could and i told him i would find out this is a forum which means ask ???s the doe is a yr old and the male is 8 mths old"

Sounds like someone is a little defensive...sheesh.:coolness:

You can, but it is in no way responsible- I don't mean to chew anyone out about this, but doing so will only create mutts, that no one will be able to use for anything other than a pet- If you are lookin to breed, I suggest get a male/femal metherland or Mini Rex and making purebred bunnies as opposed to mutts.

Latest posts

Back