Breeding Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!
I have been researching all about rabbits and I have one myself. I was thinking about breeding my rabbit. He is a chocolate Vienna. He has a great temperament and I love him to pieces. He doesn’t have the prefect Vienna markings but he is still pretty.
I was wondering what a good doe would be in like color to make some pretty babies out of him. I don’t know a whole lot about his exact genes like if he has any recessive genes or such. I am a little new to breeding but I would love to learn more, I do know some on markings like I can identify marking but I don’t know much else I would guess.

Thank you

Can you send a picture of him? What type of rabbit is he? You will need the female to be smaller than him so she doesn't have trouble kindling.

I know a female needs to larger then the male so that she doesn’t have too big of babies and get stuck. I am not 100% sure his breed but I am not breeding for show or anything. He is not super small. Maybe about 5 pounds. 27DB6DA8-6985-4761-AC43-EDFD2B28C619.jpeg6445814B-F44A-4DF6-BA9A-564E9148C344.jpeg228769D1-1296-4C18-B542-D30A1BBAA4CE.jpeg

He is cute! I would breed him with a pretty holland lop. Some of the babies' ears will be up, some will be down, and some will be both up and down, so you can please all the people who want them.

He is about a year old. What color do you think would be a good match for his color? I really like how pretty he is and I really do like holland lops. I also Like broken colors but I don’t know a good color that would make a good pair.

He's a very pretty boy, is he your first rabbit or you have any previous experience?

If you breed him you will have to take care of two adult rabbits (you will have to keep them separately when she will have babies) and 1-14 babies, they will grow really fast and you will need an extra large cage for them when they will be 2-3 weeks and until they are 8 weeks at least, only after 8 weeks you can try finding new homes for them and it's not easy at all. So they will grow rapidly and you will have to separate girls from boys when they are 10 weeks old, so you will need two large cages for boys and girls and two large cages for their parents.
At 14-16 weeks boys will start fighting and you will have to separate them all, so every boy will need their own cage. You will keep looking for people who would like to adopt them as I said it's not easy as you will want them to go to a good home.

So if you feel you can handle 2 adult rabbits and (maybe) 6 young rabbits for 4-5-6 months and you have enough room for them all, keeping males separately from females, also from week 4 babies will need unlimited pellets and will eat a lot, pregnant and nursing rabbit will have unlimited pellets too. If you feel you can handle it go ahead but you actually never know what babies they will have. If you don't know his parents maybe they looked different and babies will be completely not what you expect.

I like babies but if you decided to start breeding your rabbits you need to think about responsibilities first, we have too many threads here when people breed their rabbits just because they are cute and they coming here asking for help and why all my babies died and what to do, it's heartbreaking. You've got a very pretty bunny and maybe you can be happy with that?

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but it is true that too many baby bunnies die because breeder has no glue how to take care of them or end up in rescues saved from hoarding situation when breeder has 10 bunnies and can't afford them and can't rehome them.

I forgot to say you will need to clean after them they will produce lots of poo and pee, no joking

I am really aware of rabbit care and what it takes. I understand how much work it is. I would never breed unless I had an idea of what I was getting into. I spent over a year researching about rabbits before getting my rabbit. I understand what I need to do to care for him and if I ever decided to breed what it would take. I wasn’t going to breed him like tomorrow or something but I was just thinking maybe within about a year or so. I am realllly well researched, I have been trying to advocate for bunnies on my area since lot of people think they are low maintenance pets. Thank you for your concern it’s really appreciated. I hope I wasn’t seeming irresponsible.

What are your goals for breeding? It can be very difficult to sell pet rabbits, especially if they are not purebreds (there is a big over-saturation of the mixed breed pet rabbit market). If you are truly interested in breeding you might want to look into getting purebred rabbits with a pedigree, as those might be easier to sell - if you started with show quality breeding stock, you might be able to sell in both the pet or show markets, so it would be a lot more likely to find buyers.
Either way, have a plan for what to do with the babies if they don't sell. It's likely you'd end up having to keep them all, or at least a large portion of them.

Of course ya'll would disagree or try to discourage breeding because that's what the majority of people will believe on here.

Also, the female doesn't need to be larger than the male. She will be able to successfully kindle. ALL rabbit breeds are born being around the same size. Obviously the peanuts (that you can get from breeding rabbits like Holland lops... etc) that are caused by receiving two copies of the dwarf gene will be smaller. And, sometimes there's the occasional "runt of the litter" Or the one that's in the lead on being fed the most. But, rabbits are supposed to be around the same amount of ounces when they are kindled. The size of the buck/breed of the buck wont change the size of the babies.

Of course ya'll would disagree or try to discourage breeding because that's what the majority of people will believe on here.

Also, the female doesn't need to be larger than the male. She will be able to successfully kindle. ALL rabbit breeds are born being around the same size. Obviously the peanuts (that you can get from breeding rabbits like Holland lops... etc) that are caused by receiving two copies of the dwarf gene will be smaller. And, sometimes there's the occasional "runt of the litter" Or the one that's in the lead on being fed the most. But, rabbits are supposed to be around the same amount of ounces when they are kindled. The size of the buck/breed of the buck wont change the size of the babies.
As a breeder I don’t discourage breeding so much as I encourage responsible breeding. The OP has done her research at least.
And yes, the buck should not be much larger than the doe. I would hate to take the risk of breeding a Polish or ND doe with a Cal or Flemish buck! They are not all born the same size. Our Brit and Polish kits were smaller than our Tan kits when born.

Love your nickname it describes you well!

Thanks. I'm also suicidal, and i've had depression for a year. I keep having suicidal thoughts. So... maybe your right.
I also have no friends.. not because i'm a jerk..... But I'm a kid that just sits in the class and says nothing. I'm too shy to talk to anyone except my family. I have really bad anxiety. I shake around people. But now i just sit in my room and isolate myself from my family. I love my bunnies, and my cat. I can talk to them when i'm feeling lonely. But I have no life besides my bunnies and cat.

Thanks. I'm also suicidal, and i've had depression for a year. I keep having suicidal thoughts. So... maybe your right.
I also have no friends.. not because i'm a jerk..... But I'm a kid that just sits in the class and says nothing. I'm too shy to talk to anyone except my family. I have really bad anxiety. I shake around people. But now i just sit in my room and isolate myself from my family. I love my bunnies, and my cat. I can talk to them when i'm feeling lonely. But I have no life besides my bunnies and cat.
Well, welcome to the club. Many of us have anxiety and depression for years and we all love our rabbits, talk to them as they are our only friends

Latest posts

Back