Breeding program

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djluster

Reaction score
Ok is there something you use for your breeding program or fo you just go off of a calendar. I wondering when you breed do you plan around when shows are coming up. I am tring to figure out my breeding scheadule so wasn't sure how you guys all planned things out or so you not plan and just bred every 8-10 weeks
I don't know if Evans has something built into it or if you know other sites who have info that would help

I use Evans and a calendar. I do most of my breeding in the fall for mini-rex nationals in the springand in the spring for convention. I do have a litter or two going most of the time though.

I don't have any programs. I mark on a calender and then put it in my phone calender. I mark the day I bred them, and then count 31 days and mark when they are due. I somewhat breed around shows, and I want kits for Nationals and convention. Right now where I'm struggling for litters, its a free for all.

I'm doing the majority of my fall breeding on Friday - in fact - it will probably be the majority of my breeding for the whole year too! (I'm not a big time breeder).

Why Friday? Because I'm trying an experiment and according to the moon phases/Zodiac cycle (which I've posted about before in here when asking questions) - the best time to breed for this year for high quality does (and more does in the litter too I think) is Friday, July 1st.

So I figure with the number of litters I'll be doing - I'll be able to see if I get a larger than usual % of does and hopefully they will be nicer quality.

My biggest concern is as of now I only have 2 does that I just bred one last weekend the other a week earlier. And my other doe just turned 4 months and I want to show her tell October before I bred her mainly so I can keep showing her and I will not have any other Dutch's to show tell my kits are 3 month in middle to end of October.
My goal is to have some ready for the Dutch nationals which is in april. So I am just trying to figure out my breeding plan so they will be around 4-5 months by that show. I may be over thinking all this but I want to have thing planned out before I just bred as soon as kits are whined but it just concerns me to give them to much time off. I guess tonight after work I may have to get a calander out and look at when most shows happen and then figure out when to bred. I don't want to be a big rabbitry just one that breds very nice show dutch's. If I had alot of rabbits this would not have to be a concern but when you only have 3 does starting out then you have to plan,

I feel your pain on this Danny. Even with 6 does like I have, I had to make myself a breeding schedule. I use a spreadsheet that tells me the day the litter was born, and the day they will be weaned so that I know when their mother will need to be bred again. I based my schedule on this system, and made it so that I would have rabbits to show when the fall shows start.

In your case for your kits to be 4-5 months by Dutch nationals, you would need to breed in November.
Since you just bred your two does, they won't have too much time off before you breed them again, they should be just fine with a couple of weeks between weaning kits and their next breeding.
Also your junior doe will be almost 9 months old then, so she will still be good to breed.

I hope this helps you. :)

I've been told by many breeders that I don't breed my girls often enough....and that is probably true.

But oh well - they're my girls and I don't like to have tons of babies...(been there done that).

For my flemish giants - I like to breed them about twice a year. I've had anywhere from 2 babies to 13 babies in my flemish litters (mostly 8-11 babies)...and I don't need to get 13 babies X 4 moms four times a year. They'd eat me out of house and home.

I also like to retire my girls after 3 or maybe 4 litters (by 2 1/2 at least) so they can be neutered and enjoy the rest of their years as pets.

For my hollands - I try for 3 times per year. If they only breed twice a year - that's fine with me too....so far I've had one litter where two made it through weaning and to adulthood and now have two litters that are six weeks old and have four in each litter.

You need to do what you feel is right for you - I live in a rural area and there isn't a huge demand for my rabbits (although I would do better if I would advertise them more).

We try to breed year round, but things naturally fall apart in summer (because of the heat) and winter (because of the darkness) so by default we wind up having the most litters in spring and fall. I have a rotation in my hutch so that at any given time, a doe is usually being bred, pregnant, kindling, raising or weaning a litter. Unless of course, someone doesn't take in which that little lady screws it all up, haha.

But no matter what, I always make sure that my does have a 2 week break after they wean their babies to get back into condition before being bred again.

so when you guys give them a break are you saying you rebred at 8 week or 10 weeks, I was looking at a breeding calculator and if I bred My jr as soon as she turned 6 months it says based on I beleave a 6 week breeding which might be pushing my girl espically with her first litter and who knows how that will trun out. I could rebreed her again in November when I would breed the others.and would giving my other 2 does months off cause any issues

Tricky Trikcy. Good luck with the timeing. I'd let the doe rebreed when their latest litter is 10 weeks old, especially if it's a brood doe

I'm at school and if I can I will breed the does the Monday morning before I leave so the due date will fall on the Thursday-Sunday when I'm back home. My sisters are absolutely horrible with litters. Superior with everything else

Are you're two does for show? A lot of breeders won't breed their show does until they turn senior and have a couple legs on them (for condition reasons). What lela said, You should breed them in November. Hopefully the litter they have now will be nice. Or you can just find another doe

The 2 does that are bred now are just brood does the Jr I am showing now and has one leg from her first show. I would like to show her some as a Sr so I would probably be waiting on her tell after a few of the show in October. I know that once you breed them there shoe days are over I know not in all cases but talking to the breeder I got my stock from said that usually around 1 1/2 years there done on the table. I know unless you have an outstanding body on the Dutch it might show alittle longer. I know I am overthinking all this way to much. But it's part of the fun and I feel that my program needs to have good direction so I know where I want it to go. Planning I's all part of the hobby and fun plus having cute Dutch's all the time

Depending on breed, not all of them end their show days.

Fuzzy momma on here had a doe JUST come off a litter and was at a show. She earned another leg.

I've a harlequin doe who got nice comments on type and condition, shes 3, and is also a brood doe. Did VERY well at Nationals this year as well.

Keep them looking great, and they can still show.

also, you show Dutch right? Because I don't show them, but doesnt more points go for markings then type?

The judges will always choose type over markings. It's half in half I do believe. The main difference with my mini rex and dutch is the fur. Dutch would pull their fur in generally the same area and in would grow back in the same color. Mini rex go absolutely crazy, bald spots everywhere and the color will sometimes grow in wrong.

Gosh I miss my dutch . It isn't much if it ain't dutch.

Good point Crystal! Check the SOP and see, my Satins are more type than color/markings, my E. Spots on the other hand are higher points for markings than for type. Though I always try to put the best of both on the table.

1 more thing IF both are good moms you could go to the calendar and count back 31 days from when you want the babies by, then count back 4 month and 5 months and breed so you have babies born for both months.
Remember if this is their first litters you may not get favorable results, then the second breeding could be spectacular.

I guess I am harsh on my rabbits, I breed every 6 weeks, they do however get the hottest part of the summer and most of the winter off. I manage 4 litters a year per New Zealand doe. I don't think that is pushing the limits at all. I just rebred my girls last Friday and they will be on litter 3 and the last until fall.

CCWelch wrote:
I guess I am harsh on my rabbits, I breed every 6 weeks, they do however get the hottest part of the summer and most of the winter off. I manage 4 litters a year per New Zealand doe. I don't think that is pushing the limits at all. I just rebred my girls last Friday and they will be on litter 3 and the last until fall.
I know of a lot of breeders that do stuff like that - and I hope you don't feel like I was saying you or anyone else is hard on your rabbits. I've had a lot of breeders tell me I don't breed my girls enough and I understand where they're coming from...just I don't want that many rabbits!!!

I live in a small town and I don't have a huge outlet for my rabbits. I don't sell for meat (or eat rabbit) - my rabbits are generally raised as pets.

Because I raise flemish - and they can eat me out of house and home if I'm not careful - I just don't usually do a lot of breeding.

Also - where I live - its HOT a lot - we've already hit 106 this year and that was a couple of weeks ago - we've had several days this month of 100 degree days. Even though the rabbits have an air conditioner in the rabbitry...it still can get warm.

Anyway - in case I sounded like I was judging anyone - I'm sorry - I never meant that at all!

Yes it 50 points for marking. 10 for Fur,10 for color and 5 for condition and last 25 for type. So if they pull to much hair they may not look as good. I know last weekend I saw some great marked dutch' but didnt have type to get past the ones with beter type but not perfect markings. I still have tons to learn That just what I heard I's there show life I's not long. I was Also told don't keep does much past 2 years old in my rabbitry once they hit two find them a good forever home.

Each one of my does are bred between May and July and thats the only time they are bred. Every Spring/Summer. I dont like to have them when it starts too get cold. So once A years is all my does are bred. I have 12 Does right now.

djluster wrote:
Yes it 50 points for marking. 10 for Fur,10 for color and 5 for condition and last 25 for type. So if they pull to much hair they may not look as good. I know last weekend I saw some great marked dutch' but didnt have type to get past the ones with beter type but not perfect markings. I still have tons to learn That just what I heard I's there show life I's not long. I was Also told don't keep does much past 2 years old in my rabbitry once they hit two find them a good forever home.

That is the biggest myth ever. Does can be used for at least 4 years, especially if they throw fabulous litters. I know a lady who's buck just died, she was still using him at 9 years old!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back