Breeding... NEED help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBun02

Reaction score
My buck is trying very hard to breed, he is 7 Months old and my 2 does are 6 1/2 months old he is smaller than my does (all are mini lops) and can't seem to find the right hole and will try to breed with there heads and sides after he tries the right position, whenever I try to help him and lift the butt up he backs off and won't go near them for the rest of the day, he also has been getting vicious with the other rabbits, any advice, I put the doe in the bucks cage and also let them play and breed in there day cage. Any advice is there anything I can do to help them breed? Thanks in advance

if the does aren't willing that makes his job tougher.

if he is vicious with the does then he shouldn't be bred anyways. WHy would you want to breed that into your lines?

but if you are determined to breed him.
steps to take with a virgin buck
1. present him with a calm READY TO BREED doe. Preferably one that's not a virgin.
2. teach hm to get over himself. So handle him. Or table breed.

go easy with him or he can be scarred for life. OR learn bad habits for life (as in being rough with the does). Neither serves him or you well.

Even if he has a bad temperament it won't effect the moods and temperaments of the kits. I would also try helping him by showing him the correct end.

Even if he has a bad temperament it won't effect the moods and temperaments of the kits. I would also try helping him by showing him the correct end.

I completely disagree, just like dogs and people- some tendencies have genetic proponents.

You have been given some great advice, a mature doe who will present herself to the buck is what he'll need. If that is not an option, I would recommend putting him where he needs to be (as suggested above).

If that "turns him off" handling him more outside of the cage on a regular basis will make him more comfortable with you so it won't be an issue

Last edited:
I agree with ladysown and breezy. Aggression in a buck is not something that should happen towards a doe. I do not see this in any of my bucks and I don't think I would tolerate it. I am more forgiving in my does but only up to a point.

Trying things to get your does in the mood (swapping the doe and bucks cage for a couple of days and then trying) or just waiting a couple of days to see if she comes along can be done as well.

Latest posts

Back