BREEDING NEED HELP TOO OLD?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby B

Reaction score
I'm trying to breed my buns
MALE : Mikey
Age 6 1/2 months
Breed holland lop 70% and lionhead 30ish%
Never bred before
Small
FEMALE :Topper
Age 1 1/2 yrs old (is she too old ?)
Breed Holland lop 100% (false dwarf )
Medium
Never bred before
Not fat healthy

Outdoor buns , cage is in the shade .
Whenever I put her in his cage she jumps over him and runs around. And squeaking . what do I do ?

Hmmm. It's not just an issue of doing it safely but also responsibly. I assume the babies will be sold as pets since being mixed breeds, they can't be for show and can't be for "bettering the breed."

The last 6 (short) paragraphs of the link contains critical information I encourage to read thoroughly. (It begins with "If you breed and plan to sell to pet homes....")

Reactions: Aki
Hmmm. It's not just an issue of doing it safely but also responsibly. I assume the babies will be sold as pets since being mixed breeds, they can't be for show and can't be for "bettering the breed."

The last 6 (short) paragraphs of the link contains critical information I encourage to read thoroughly. (It begins with "If you breed and plan to sell to pet homes....")
Yes I did . we have a trade days here and we sell buns mix and pure bred . and when selling the rabbits as small as the Holland lop they would be bought for pets . I don't care if they don't sell for much I just love rabbits .

sell them for enough to make it worth keeping them.
The doe is not too old.
The buck may have a bit of a learning curve.
consider what you will do if you don't sell them all.

Yes I did . we have a trade days here and we sell buns mix and pure bred . and when selling the rabbits as small as the Holland lop they would be bought for pets . I don't care if they don't sell for much I just love rabbits .

That's an interesting take on love...

No rudeness intended -
I haven't made a thread to argue why I like rabbits / love them . or how a will raise and sell them . I want to breed my 2 rabbits the right way. I would love to keep them but my parents don't want me having 50 rabbits. I have done a good bit a research on this but wanting another opinion on breeding them . however all I've gotten from this website is why not to.

I’m jus curious - if you don’t want to keep the babies, and you aren’t worried about the money, why put your bunnies and yourself through the stress of breeding?

I’m jus curious - if you don’t want to keep the babies, and you aren’t worried about the money, why put your bunnies and yourself through the stress of breeding?
BC I love playing with baby bunnies, so cute and soft . and i may be able to convince them to let me keep one. In the past I've bred fish and my cat has had 3 litters of kittens none of which where on purpose (every time we tried to get her fixed her she'd be expecting more )now we own her and her grandson the rest we gave away . I enjoy raising small baby animals .

Yeah they’re cute but I’d try and line up some buyers beforehand that you trust, so you know they aren’t just gonna end up in a rehoming shelter when someone gets bored of them. And rabbits are harder to raise than cats and fish. I believe you that you’ve done your research I just don’t think it’s the kindest thing for your pets.
In regards to your question, if you’re desperate then they will probably be fine.

No rudeness intended -
I haven't made a thread to argue why I like rabbits / love them . or how a will raise and sell them . I want to breed my 2 rabbits the right way. I would love to keep them but my parents don't want me having 50 rabbits. I have done a good bit a research on this but wanting another opinion on breeding them . however all I've gotten from this website is why not to.

I understand your frustration with the responses, but please consider our perspective. There is a reason you've received these replies. Many of us have rabbits (or even many rabbits over the years) that all came from rabbit rescues/shelters. We've seen just how many rabbits are abandoned or rejected, how many are destined to live their lives in a shelter or are "let free" to die in the wild. This is why any breeding should be considered very carefully. What really will become of each & every one of those babies? How many will be bred and continue to add to the overpopulation of unwanted rabbits?

I doubt there is anyone on this site who doesn't adore baby bunnies -- who wouldn't want to cuddle them? So I think we all understand having a love of rabbits. However, I'm not going to put my desire to cuddle & play with some baby rabbits above the well being of those rabbits. No matter how you cut it, trading or selling mixed-breed rabbits that are intact is only going to destine more rabbits for the shelter. For every rabbit you sell, that's one less rabbit that can be adopted/rescued from a shelter. If that rabbit has babies, then all the more are prevented from being rescued.

Ultimately, the decision is still yours. There is a showroom section on this forum for serious breeders who breed with a purpose and to better the breed. If you really want to breed rabbits, perhaps you could consider learning about showing rabbits and breeding for that purpose using rabbits with a pedigree.

I'd submit that all of us on this forum love rabbits. That is the very reason many of us are discouraging this kind of mixed breeding. We love rabbits enough to not want to see more become impulse buys that too often end up given up to shelters. We're trying to look out for the well-being of rabbits.

Latest posts

Back