Breeding Mini Lops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybarn

Reaction score
Hi :) Ive been breeding mini lops for a few years now and would like a bit of advice as to if we can breed these two rabbits together.. I obviously know that litter mates/brothers and sisters shouldn't be bred together, but... we have two fab minis that we believe would produce amazing colours and features but aren't sure if its actually ok to breed them together.

They have the same dad, but different mothers and were born a year apart.

Could anyone with more experience than me shed some light please?

Most breeders will carefully watch half siblings. I was actually about to perform a half sibling breeding tonight but I put the doe in the wrong bucks cages and bred her back to her father. D'oh

It actually was on my list to do but not on my list for convention babies. I'm not worried though. You have to be very aware that while good traits may come out of the pairing bad traits might as well. Watch the offspring very closely. If you notice a recessive gene pops up that is hard to fix or isn't desirable then I would not repeat it and outcross or line breed.

It can be done just be careful

If you believe they would produce amazing colours and features then go for it. I have a brother/sister rabbits that have had litters together.

Thank u for the replies.

@woahlookitsme: Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely watch the offspring very closely if I do decide to breed them. I hope all the good traits they have would produce amazing little buns.

@Jaded: Breeding brother and sister is something Ive always been told to avoid due to the gene pools being too close and the chance of bad traits showing are much higher. How did it work out for you? Were all the buns healthy and showable?

Latest posts

Back