Breeding Holland lops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pet , but one of my bucks has a dwarf gene so he’s quite small the doe doesn’t. My buck just hit 6 months around August 17 and my doe 8 months this week.

Size would only matter if you are breeding say a Male Flemish Giant, with a Female Netherland Dwarf. It is best if the male is smaller then the female when breeding a giant breed and a dwarf breed. From what I have heard, when breeding Holland Lops it doesn't really matter what size they are.

It's good to have the buck smaller than the doe, as brood does tend to have less trouble in labor. First time litters, especially with Holland Lops, tend to not go as planned for various reasons. Between 6-9 months is a good time to breed does for the first time. They can be bred until they make it obvious that you're done, normally around the age of 3 - 4. Bucks can breed effectively as early as 4 months of age. I have heard of bucks that are still breeding at the age of 6 - 7!

I could go on and on, but that is really up to you how much you want to research and learn. Please do not breed without a purpose, there are plenty of rabbits in shelters if you are breeding strictly for pets. People may find it kind of ironic I'm saying that, seeing as I'm a breeder myself, but my inspiration is for therapy animals. I'm getting more into show Holland Lops, and working extensively with the Vienna gene as well. It is such a rewarding and amazing hobby, but I will warn you there is a lot of work involved.

Here are some helpful links to get you started on your breeding journey:

BEST Overall Breeding Guide - great for beginners, includes step-by-step instructions and everything you need to get started.

Breeding Q & A - this has all the basics, organized for easy access.

Holland Lop Color Guide - great for identifying colors in young kits and senior rabbits. I also love how it breaks it up by the color groups.

Breeding Outcome Calculator - not always accurate, but gives you a good idea of what the kits coloring will be.

Rabbitry Breeder Hub / Blog - great advice, includes everything from genetics to herbal remedies!

Determining Sex - great clear pictures, remember girl = slit and boy = hole.

Latest posts

Back