Breeding cage ideas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizzyMayHarvey

Reaction score
I have been building a rabbit breeding area for a while but I have not been able to find a good rabbit cage/hutch.
My area is a large outdoor run space that is fully fenced off. I am going to be breeding Flemish Giants and plenty of space is extremely important to me so they can binky around and be bunnies, so I am wanting to get a large hutch to put at the end of the run even though any bunnies living there will be let out for a run every day. I don't need a ton of cages as I will only be having one breeding pair or maybe an extra doe.
I have searched everywhere for the perfect hutch but everything is too small for my liking so I am wondering if any experienced breeders think I'm a little OTT with space, and I would really love to see pictures of people's breeding cage set ups. Please send in the photos! I would love to get some ideas and any tips are welcome.☺️

-Lizzy

To start, I would recommend a breeding trio - two does and 1 buck. You might want to look at building your own hutch. I had a breeder friend who raised Flemish and hers were made from wood and heavier gauge hardware cloth (for the sides). Due to their weight she had them on solid flooring.

Thankyou for the advice! I've decided I will be building my own hutch out of pallets to reduce costs. Has anyone built a hutch with pallets before? I am making sure that I will get heat treated or something so they are not chemically treated. Hopefully we will start builing next week and I can get my brother to help me. And yes they will be on solid floors and I am going to weather proof the hutch as it will be outside.
Is this hutch idea good? I want to have enough cages for the when the babies are weaned but I also don't want to take away too much space from the run so that's why it's on legs. The other picture is the doors I was thinking of so I could out a divider in for more cages if needed. One is wire and the other is wood. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated. (Sorry for the bad drawings and lack of image quality)
I am also keen to see other people's set ups please! Send in the photos!

Attachments

• 1615586623756326228544522586154.jpg
    1615586623756326228544522586154.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 16155868344204634587700425616509.jpg
    16155868344204634587700425616509.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 3
So we have six compartments one for ventilation and air cycling in and out. We switch the heat lamp out for a normal lights in the summer. And we have slits for cleaning out the trays we also made it so our hay bails can go on top. The thing with small cages is you have to let the bunnies play a lot so they get there excersize! Ask about any other details if you need

Latest posts

Back